Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What was that moment?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:51 PM
  • 14 Replies
What was the moment you decided you needed to be healthier? Stronger? Lose weight? Whatever you decided you needed to do, what was the turning point?
Was it a health scare? A certain weight? When you couldn't do something physically?

For me my pants were getting too tight at work but I kept eating fast food. Then my doctor said I was at risk for diabetes and that got my attention. Quite frankly it scared the hell out of me and that was the moment I decided I was ready to fully commit. In addition my job is very physically demanding. I could get seriously hurt if I'm not strong enough to do it. So I'm working hard to get stronger.
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseWall
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 1:15 AM
When I realized I just felt myself being in pain more than I was painfree.
I want to be completely without pain ony back and knees.
Being less heavy should eliminate 99 % of my pain.
MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Oct. 9, 2015 at 1:50 AM

When my weight was circling the 200s drain just before my wedding.  Recently it was my Mom's cancer diagnosis and how weight increases the risk of getting it.

cntrdmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 1:52 AM
I don't actually have anything wrong like injuries, but I do have a bit of pain. Mostly joints. I've found more weight definitely equals more pain. My knees and hips. Gah.
I hope you make it to that point very soon! I understand what pain can do to a person. Dh has chronic pain actually.

Quoting RoseWall: When I realized I just felt myself being in pain more than I was painfree.
cntrdmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 1:53 AM
I actually didn't know it increased the risk of cancer. Cancer scares me. I wish the best for your mom.

Quoting MixedCooke:

When my weight was circling the 200s drain just before my wedding.  Recently it was my Mom's cancer diagnosis and how weight increases the risk of getting it.

tiredmomfor2
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 7:18 AM
Five years ago when my Dr got in my face and told me I wouldn't see my children grown if I didn't take better care of myself. Kind of scary considering my two month old was sitting in a carseat next to me.
I lost all my weight and was on the best shape of my adult life.
We had another baby (our fourth) a month ago. It was my healthiest pregnancy yet. But I still have to get the rest of my weight off from it and want my strength and fitness level back. Baby girl had a rough start at the beginning, so I am just now getting around to strictly focusing on my weight loss...and got the medical release from the Dr yesterday. Time to start working out!!!
RoseWall
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 7:24 AM
Yes,knees. I am in less pain than two years ago. I'm lookin forward to less and less pain in the coming year as I get in better weight range for my height.

Quoting cntrdmom: I don't actually have anything wrong like injuries, but I do have a bit of pain. Mostly joints. I've found more weight definitely equals more pain. My knees and hips. Gah.
I hope you make it to that point very soon! I understand what pain can do to a person. Dh has chronic pain actually.

Quoting RoseWall: When I realized I just felt myself being in pain more than I was painfree.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 8:16 AM

I was 45 and felt like I was 90 years old.  I was only getting sicker and sicker no matter how hard I worked to follow the doctor's orders, and she said there was nothing I could do about it.

I proved her wrong.

Ultrakiwi
by Member on Oct. 10, 2015 at 12:07 PM

It was a bunch of little things, honestly.  I was so extremely depressed at the time I finally "snapped" into being healthier.  I had heard exercise helped with depression.  At that point, I was desperate enough to try anything.  Even exercise. lol.  One day I literally went "I'm going to lose a butt ton of weight", and i did.

I got my monstrosity of an IUD out.  I lost 10 lbs two weeks of it being out.  That gave me additional motivation.

Seeing cellulite pop up on your FACE just isn't appealing.  I'm a curvy gal, as well.  When I got so big that my waist definition was starting to go, something that only happens when I'm becoming very obese, it's worrisome.  I had already suffered diet related health issues, as well.  No person in their early 20's should have that problem.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Oct. 13, 2015 at 9:01 PM

We went out to lunch one day at Red Robin, with their bottomless steak fries covered in MSG. I had a burger, fries, and a shake. We had planned to go out and do some things after lunch, but we all ate so much that we just felt sluggish and tired, and instead just went home and all took naps. I felt so bloated, disgusting and awful for the rest of the afternoon. I realized that day that my lunch choices had caused me to lose an entire Saturday afternoon where we could have been doing something fun, and I just generally felt HORRIBLE after I ate that crap. The very next day I went Paleo, and never looked back.

For me it wasn't about weight loss, (I've never been more than 150 my adult life, at 5'8"), it was just about feeling better and wanting to be clean and healthy.

ZombieChicken
by on Oct. 13, 2015 at 9:21 PM
This past weekend. I've been trying for years and kept making excuses. I know what I need to do for lose weight. Today when I woke up, I didn't feel the dread of a diet. I felt at peace. I saw pictures of myself and it's not pretty. I don't like knowing that I let myself go.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)