Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Set Your Goals!

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:07 PM
  • 93 Replies

The best way to be successful is to set goals that you CAN achieve. You can achieve your goals if you make SMART goals. SMART goals are:

S - Specific
M -Measurable
A - Attainable
R - Realistic
T - Time Based.

If your goal is to lose weight, break down that goal with the SMART method.
For instance, if you want to lose 40 lbs, write your goal similar to this: "I want to lose 40 pounds total in 2016. To do that, I will focus on losing 2 - 3 pounds a month with clean eating and exercise".
By setting the above goal, instead of just "I want to lose weight", you have just set a specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time based goal. It is the same goal, but now you know what you need to do and how you are going to do it to be successful. Two to three pounds a month seems much more attainable than the daunting number of 40 lbs in a year.

You may have setbacks along with way. That is OKAY. Adjust your goals as needed but remember to use the SMART method to get you back on track.

Before you begin this journey, make sure to weigh yourself, take your measurements and if possible 'before' pictures.
These will let you know exactly where you are when you start and will be powerful and motivating tools to help you on your journey.

Tip: Use a journal (food and fitness) to keep track of your goals. As the year goes on, you will not only be able to physically see your results, but you will be able to go back and look at where you began and know how far you have come!

Share with us what your SMART goals are for this year!
Why are you ready to begin, restart or continue this journey?
What is motivating you to get healthy this year?

treadmill

by on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessie21300
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM
My goal for 2016 is to tone my body more and to loose at least ten pounds of fat before 2016 is over.
medicalemtb
by Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:26 PM

My goal for 2016 is to lose 30lbs total by July. I will do this by loosing 5 lbs a month.

mama2b100808
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM

my goal is to get down to a size 8 before December 18th 2016! 

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Let's see. I am 141 lbs (I hope the scale isn't lying to me) and I want to be closer to the 128 lb range, so I want to lose 13 lbs in 2016. Basically, I want my jeans to fit comfortably again, tone up and look decent in shorts and a bathing suit. To do that I will try to eat healthier, exercise, and hopefully cut back on my precious Pepsi (though I admit I don't think I could give it up completely.) The sooner I hit my target weight the better, but realistically I'm good with reaching that point by late April or early May. (I have no idea what a healthy amount to lose a month is, but I'm not, like, planning to do this in an unhealthy way.)

I know I've just been eating a lot of junk the last half of 2015, so I hope to get back to eating healthier than I have been.

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:32 PM

My goals are too tone up, make healthy eating choices and work out at least 5 times a week. I want to be healthy and healthy weight ((which I currently am but I need to tone up ))

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:32 PM

To get back to running, get my kidney function up, and continue to recover from Levaquin poisoning

SunshneDaydream
by Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:37 PM
I just want to get back to my pre-pregnancy size (pre-3rd-pregnancy, not pre-1st-pregnancy, because that would be unrealistic lol!). And then maybe a little more toned. I also want to be walking my dogs EVERY DAY, no excuses! This is for their health AS WELL AS mine :)
FrankNFurter
by Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:42 PM
I want to loose 25lbs by the end of July. I need to loose at least 4lbs a month.

I plan on doing weight watchers on my own. Keeping to a lower carb diet and eat out less.
JillyMichelley
by Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:43 PM

I want to be down 25 lbs by my son's birthday and 50 in the year would be AMAAAAAAAAAZZZING

selaphyna
by Member on Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM

I need to lose at least 60 lbs, but I don't want to focus or stress on that.

What I really need to focus on is drinking more water and being more active. From there, start eating healthier.

~*Sela*~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)