Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does stress affect how you eat or exercise?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:22 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • Do you eat because you are stressed or emotional?

• Does exercise help you to relax when you are stressed?

• Does thinking about your weight stress you out?

• Does making a things to do list relax you because you know what you need to get done or stress you out thinking about how much you have to do?
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:06 AM
No, I've never been an emotional eater.

I do tend to get angry while I work out though. I scream terrible things at Jillian Micheals while I'm panting and grunting in pain. Screaming and cussing her out gives me energy, idk, it's weird. I've always said that sometimes, when you have nothing else left, anger gives you energy. Sometimes anger is all that will get you out of bed in the morning.
Kuulou
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:22 AM

Answer to the below:

No, when I'm stressed I don't eat

Yes, I do relax after exercise

I stress out about my sugar levels

I tend to relax when I am making a list.  I stress out when I don't follow through on my list.

Quoting MixedCooke:
  • Do you eat because you are stressed or emotional?
  • Does exercise help you to relax when you are stressed?
  • Does thinking about your weight stress you out?
  • Does making a things to do list relax you because you know what you need to ge one or you out thinking about how much you have to do

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:09 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:
  • Do you eat because you are stressed or emotional?  No, but I used to be an emotional eater.  I learned to overcome it.
  • Does exercise help you to relax when you are stressed?  Workouts, no.  Recreational exercise, yes.
  • Does thinking about your weight stress you out?  No.
  • Does making a things to do list relax you because you know what you need to get done or stress you out thinking about how much you have to do?  Neither.  I do make lists, but it's to keep me on track.  I used to stress over getting those things done but I had to learn to stop doing that after a nervous breakdown.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:09 AM

While I am not typically an emotional eater, when my husband leaves for his 10 days I eat more salty foods and bloat a bit from the salt.  Plus when I am stressed way out (today begins my child's standardized testing) I often skip eating because I throw up.  

No exercise doesn't help me relax....well taking a walk in the woods does, but sitting still in the woods does too, so I'd say it's the woods more than the walk.

Thinking about my weight doesn't stress me out at all.  Thinking about all of my hangy-dangly skin kind of frustrates me, but my weight is one I'm happy with.

I love a to do list.  I love to check something off of a list and (don't judge me) I sometimes write down something that wasn't on the list just to scratch it off!  LOL.  It used to stress me out if I didn't cross off everything on the list, but any more I just roll with it.

Greenenvy
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:09 AM
When I'm stressed or emotional I don't eat. I end up dropping insane amount of weight very quickly.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:10 AM
My workouts help relieve stress. I feel great after.
Molimomma
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:57 AM

I never eat when I'm stressed because I will lose it quickly and who has time for tummy troubles. Plus I am not usually hungry when I'm upset. When I'm stressed exercise WOULD help(it has before) except it's usually a lack of time or family pressure that makes me stressed and the easiest thing for me is to just shift back to my old routine and put myself last on the list. And yes, I keep a to do list but only in my head not written down and yes, it stresses me out because I often don't get it all done because it is both a short-term and long-term list.

coala
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM

I am totally an emotional eater.  I think about my weight and I eat.  I am stressed I eat.  If I get upset or depressed I eat.  It really is a sad state for me.  Sadly, I don't really like to eat....I don't enjoy food.

Exercise does not even come close to relaxing me.  I am a serious odd case that my trainer has discovered.  My body actually goes into a form of shock after working out and I get cold, shivering to the bone cold and can't warm up.  I could also go to sleep for HOURS.  We aren't sure what is causing this, but we are trying to work through it.

Thinking about my weight very much stresses me out.  Since I started seeing a personal trainer and he is measuring me and helping to calculate my body fat using calipers, I am starting to feel less stressed with his help.

Making a to do list and keeping it short and sweet (under 10 items) helps keep me in check.  Anything over that and I start to get really stressed out.

I know my stressors and I try really hard to keep them under control.

looneymom467
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:20 PM

I am a total stress eater...been bad lately I need to start over.

Michelle785406
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 3:21 PM

I'm actually the opposite, I eat less when I'm stressed or emotional. I've heard most people eat more though when they are stressed or emotional.

Exercise is my number 1 stress reliever. I go every morning to the gym to get out any stress I have and start my day on a positive note. Once i leave the gym i don't feel any stress at all.

I try not to think about my weight too much. I know that i'm being as healthy and active as I can so there's no point in stressing about it.

I do make a list and put everything in my caledar that i need to get done and when. It keeps me organized. If i don't have a list or have it on my calendar than i feel stressed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)