Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What I dont understand about food?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:20 AM
  • 9 Replies

What I dont understand about food is how is it even legal that all these companies can use all these harmful chemicals, additives, packaging, etc. if the research has proven how harmful they are?  Doesn't the FDA have to approve any of it or its manufacturing?    Or even the farming practice use of organic, etc.  I would imagine it would be cheaper to not use such harmful chemicals and why not find a more natural solution for the pest problem?  Why are food companies allowed to continue to poison us? Profit?  Eh just a rant...

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
joaniedanger
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:31 AM
I think it's because people still buy it. I mean I know that seems too simple but that's really the only reason. Of course there's a whole crap load of "reasoning" but that's the bottom line. At least 10 years ago I was calling out Monsanto and people would send me links to Snopes and tell me how ignorant I was. At least now enough has come to light and people are aware of what is going on. Hopefully further progress won't take so long
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:57 AM
1 mom liked this
The FDA is the most consistently corrupt government entity we have. Agents are bought and paid for in bribes. There have been numerous scandals over the years. I don't trust a word they say.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:05 AM
2 moms liked this

money, money, money.  Monsanto is in the USDA's pockets BIG TIME.  Corruption is rampant.  Big Ag has the money to steer the USDA.

Laziness has a lot to do with it, too.  True organic (without the use of chemicals) is labor intensive.  It's easier to climb into the big tractors and spray for weeds and pests.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree...money money money!  The revolving door between the high ups in the biggest ag businesses and the USDA/FDA is staggering.  When a company needs something passed or changed they give someone a sabbatacal and send them into the system to change it.  It's disgusting.

Also, I think the big food companies actually pay people to go online and muddy the waters.  I've seen people on myfitnesspal's forums spewing what I would consider total misinformation about chemicals.  I've often wondered if (like the oil companies in the early 2000's) they are actually paid to say such stuff.

chinosruca
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 4:53 PM
Money. They pay doctors/scientists/lawmakers to lie and say it is safe. Until the CONSUMERS stops buying the crap in mass, it will never stop. It will be that way forever. Money talks. Period. The junk food industry is a multi billion dollar business. I don't foresee it changing unless consumers change. There are so many things that baffle me in the food industry. Not just chemicals. But the impact that animal agriculture has on our planet is disgusting. We are destroying the earth and killing ourselves with our food.

I do what I can to make a difference, but I am one person. And sadly, not enough people care to stop the madness.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 12, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Quoting chinosruca: Money. They pay doctors/scientists/lawmakers to lie and say it is safe. Until the CONSUMERS stops buying the crap in mass, it will never stop. It will be that way forever. Money talks. Period. The junk food industry is a multi billion dollar business. I don't foresee it changing unless consumers change. There are so many things that baffle me in the food industry. Not just chemicals. But the impact that animal agriculture has on our planet is disgusting. We are destroying the earth and killing ourselves with our food. I do what I can to make a difference, but I am one person. And sadly, not enough people care to stop the madness.

Please don't judge ALL animal agriculture as the same.  Animal agriculture is very beneficial if done correctly, naturally, and in a way that benefits the health of animals.  The CAFO's are doing all the damage.  I classify them in the same category as monocropping of major crops such as soybeans, wheat, and corn.

chinosruca
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I have my opinions and they are very different from yours. But, I don't argue them with people about my opinions. I just state them.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting chinosruca: Money. They pay doctors/scientists/lawmakers to lie and say it is safe. Until the CONSUMERS stops buying the crap in mass, it will never stop. It will be that way forever. Money talks. Period. The junk food industry is a multi billion dollar business. I don't foresee it changing unless consumers change. There are so many things that baffle me in the food industry. Not just chemicals. But the impact that animal agriculture has on our planet is disgusting. We are destroying the earth and killing ourselves with our food.

I do what I can to make a difference, but I am one person. And sadly, not enough people care to stop the madness.

Please don't judge ALL animal agriculture as the same.  Animal agriculture is very beneficial if done correctly, naturally, and in a way that benefits the health of animals.  The CAFO's are doing all the damage.  I classify them in the same category as monocropping of major crops such as soybeans, wheat, and corn.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 12, 2016 at 7:03 PM

So, since money is at the root of this evil, what can/will/do people do to make an impact?

Buy from farm markets.  Buy meat/poultry/eggs/dairy that didn't come from a factory farm.  Grow your own, if possible.  Avoid foods and products made from foods grown with these chemicals.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 12, 2016 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting joaniedanger: I think it's because people still buy it. I mean I know that seems too simple but that's really the only reason. Of course there's a whole crap load of "reasoning" but that's the bottom line. At least 10 years ago I was calling out Monsanto and people would send me links to Snopes and tell me how ignorant I was. At least now enough has come to light and people are aware of what is going on. Hopefully further progress won't take so long

If (collective) we would just wake up to what the rest of the world is seeing!  GM crops/foods are refused in other countries.  Food dyes and additives are banned in some countries.  We in the USA are too complacent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)