Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm just really discouraged

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:26 PM
  • 13 Replies
I'm not seeing the scale budge. I'm 152 lbs, 5 ft 8 inches tall and just had my third baby (3 months ago) in 4 years. I'm 9 lbs away from my goal weight. I'm breastfeeding and eating around 1700-1800 calories a day. I'm afraid to go any lower on my calories bc it may lower my supply. I'm nursing on demand and pumping 16 ounces every morning and some days I pump around 8-10 oz in the afternoon and 6 oz at night. So I know I'm using a crap load of calories nursing. I'm also exercising 3 times a week (jogging or walking while baby wearing). I guess I could amp it up to 5 times a week? Why the heck am I not losing? It's got to be hormonal or something. It just doesn't make sense mathematically why I'm not losing. I've heard that some women hang on to a few lbs while nursing, but I didn't do this with my last 2 babies. Any thoughts or advice? Feeling very discouraged and somewhat angry. ☹️
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3inct1967
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
OMG give yourself a break lol Don't be discouraged . Add strength to build muscle and the muscle will burn more calories.
You can do body weight stuff like planks, push-ups, squats, burpees. There's awesome videos out there for free.
Another cool thing I like to do that doesn't take long is a hurricane.
If you can use a track or a flat stretch of safe road. Do burpees for a minute or 30 sec whatever you can manage then sprint for 40 yds all out!
Do push-ups at the other end for a minute and then slri t back.
Rest for 20 seconds after each sprint and start again-- 15 minutes and you're good.

Another quick 10 minute workout -
Do 10 squats then drop into push-up position
Do 10 push-ups (or 5 if that's all you can) and flip over
Do 10 ankle grabs - flat on back explode up into a sitting position grabbing ankles and release back down

I had to work up to 10 minutes on this one- don't stop between just keep going

Play music and have fun
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:56 PM
You may not lose any more until you are done breastfeeding, and it's a hormonal issue. Your body is wanting to hold on to fat stores for milk production.
sarah4gandh
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM
This is what I was afraid of!! πŸ˜­πŸ‘ŽπŸ»πŸ‘ŽπŸ»πŸ‘ŽπŸ» I look like I'm 10 lbs overweight and my clothes don't fit right. I let my kids self wean, so it could be 3 years before I stop nursing! My oldest weaned the week after her 4th birthday, not that long ago! (Yes, I tandem nursed) Ugh! I don't want to feel like this for the next couple years... Maybe it will change once my baby starts nursing less? Like around a year old? Idk! 😫

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: You may not lose any more until you are done breastfeeding, and it's a hormonal issue. Your body is wanting to hold on to fat stores for milk production.
medicalemtb
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I would say add weights for sure that will help. But also as the other ladies said. You body may not want to lose those extra pounds while you are nursing.

BeFit-Mom
by Member on Apr. 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Your predicted daily metabolism is 2525, on your low/no exercise days. This means that you should not go below 2025 on your no/low exercise days, and on your jogging/fitness walking with LO days, that you should add in about 10% more.

When you eat too far below your daily metabolism, your body can go into "starvation" mode which dramatically lower your metabolism.

Plan on eating at the above level for a full 6 weeks. Then reassess.

Remember that when operating a milk factory, that you have increased lean tissue and body fluids, so this means that about 3-5 lbs of your additional weight comes from that, and you are closer to your goal then the scale might imply.

If weighing yourself daily bums you out, don't do it. 9 lbs over pre-preg at 12 weeks is much better than most. Try to take the long view.The process of evolving from your postpartum body to your pre-preg phsyique is slow for most.

If you haven't already, start pp core rehab exercises to tone and flatten your belly. Don't do moves like crunches as these types of exercises prevent mid line closure and will make your belly continue to protrude.

BeFit-Mom

vab
by on Apr. 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM
Give yourself time. Your body is adjusting. You are doing all the right things. You will lose weight, but it may take jus a little longer!
Ritata
by Member on Apr. 13, 2016 at 4:36 PM

What exercises would you recommend instead of crunches?

Quoting BeFit-Mom:

Your predicted daily metabolism is 2525, on your low/no exercise days. This means that you should not go below 2025 on your no/low exercise days, and on your jogging/fitness walking with LO days, that you should add in about 10% more.

When you eat too far below your daily metabolism, your body can go into "starvation" mode which dramatically lower your metabolism.

Remember that when operating a milk factory, that you have increased lean tissue and body fluids, so this means that about 3-5 lbs of your additional weight comes from that, and you are closer to your goal then the scale might imply.

If weighing yourself daily bums you out, don't do it. 9 lbs over pre-preg at 12 weeks is much better than most. Try to take the long view.The process of evolving from your postpartum body to your pre-preg phsyique is slow for most.

If you haven't already, start pp core rehab exercises to tone and flatten your belly. Don't do moves like crunches as these types of exercises prevent mid line closure and will make your belly continue to protrude.

BeFit-Mom

BeFit-Mom
by Member on Apr. 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Ritata:

What exercises would you recommend instead of crunches?

Quoting BeFit-Mom:

BeFit-Mom

Google my screen name to find out how to rebuild your abdominal wall.

BeFit-Mom

Oliviasmom72
by Member on Apr. 13, 2016 at 6:50 PM

You dont sound overweight at all and that is terrific 4 months post pardom. You dont have much to lose thats why the scale is not moving. I am 5 foot 8 and would love to weight 152 I am about 175 and need to lose 25 lbs.

You are not overweight. Worry about losing the rest after you are done BF'ing.

Marie207
by on Apr. 15, 2016 at 5:05 AM

It will just be a little longer this time.  This is your third time losing weight after a baby.  It wont be as fast as the first pregnancy.  You will be just fine, you are not that much above your weight for your height anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)