Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New at it all

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:49 PM
  • 3 Replies
Hey ! I'm new to the fitness world I'm 5'2 & weight 160 I'm 20 years old I want to lose around 40 pounds my goal weight is 125 I want to lose weight so I can feel good about myself feel healthy I started gaining weight because of birth control I took it because my period are irregular I just stop taking it a month ago and I want to get back on track get toned and lose all this weight but I have no idea how to start ! I seriously don't know anything about it all I don't know how to start eating healthy don't know what carbs protein fat are or how they work I seriously need a little knowledgement on all this I don't know what workout are good Either or how it all works. I'm desperate I really want to do a transfermation for me to feel good about my body
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Oliviasmom72
by Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello welcome. You are young and its great you want to get back at a good weight.

Losing weight is all about calories and portion size. Throw away all the junk. No fast food no soda. Focus on lean proteins, fiber, 3 small meals a day plus a snack at night is what I do and the weight has been coming off.

Drink as close as you can to 64oz of water per day. I would see how do you do the first week on 1200 calories a day. Try to fit in any excercise you can..walking for 30-40 minutes per day. I have a fit bit which has been GREAT. The default goal it sets you at is 10000 steps per day which is 4.5 miles. I hit it most days.

So get acitve, drink lotgs of water. Eliminate the junk, breads, carbs, sugar. Limit the calories and you will see the weight come off.

MyFitnessPal is a great app to track excrcise and food.

Good luck

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 29, 2016 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Carbs: provide easiest form of energy.  There are high carb foods that are typically highest in calories and low-carb foods that typically include the most nutrition.  You get the biggest bang for your low-calorie buck by choosing low-carb foods, typically non-starchy veggies with plenty of fiber.

Fat:  provides 2nd easiest and most efficient form of energy.  Choose healthy fats such as fatty fish (tuna, salmon, etc.), nuts, olives & olive oil, avocados, cheese & real butter, eggs, coconut & coconut oil.  Avoid heavily processed seed oils, margarine, and fried foods (typically fried in a seed oil).  You don't need as much fat in volume compared to carbs, so you'll eat less.

Protein:  a building block necessary for tissues; also a 3rd source of energy but takes more effort for the body to obtain and use that energy.  Good sources of protein include cooked dry beans (but you'll get a carb load from them), eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt (again higher in carbs than other sources), and meats.  Fresh meats are much preferred over processed meats due to the things added to processed meats.  Most protein sources have significant calories so you don't want to go all-out on them.

Avoid sugars.  Embrace whole foods.  Drink plenty of water to help flush your body of toxins and keep your kidneys healthy:  general rule is half of your body weight in oz. of water daily -- right now that's 80 oz. of water a day.  Have an extra glass if you drink a cup of coffee or tea.

Losing weight is 80% diet.  Focus on that.  You do NOT have to go on an extreme diet of lettuce and chicken and feel deprived.  I eat low-carb paleo/primal (low starches, mostly whole natural foods) and enjoy a wide variety of foods and tastes.  

As for exercise, find something you like to do or exercise will become a chore.  I like a brisk walk on nice days or even any day it's not sleeting or snowing.  For other exercise, I like to dance, play *informal* volleyball, frisbee golf, biking, and more play activities.  

Aw_7
by on Oct. 31, 2016 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all so much I'm so excited to start this journey!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)