Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Gain Weight in the Winter?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:53 AM
  • 3 Replies

With school starting again and you running around like a crazy person, packing lunches and helping with never-ending homework assignments, you'd think you'd lose weight each September. Alas, on average, we each gain a full two (yes, TWO!) pounds during this busy month.

It's not just from eating your kiddo's lunch box leftovers. Your body's got to begin adjusting to cooler weather and less daylight. You may have less time to be active, plus more opportunities to overeat (hello, holidays!) and indulge in calorie-heavy comfort foods, notes Marci Clow, MS, a registered dietitian and senior nutritionist at Rainbow Light.

"Some people also experience seasonal affective disorder," she adds, "which is a type of depression that may cause people to eat more when it's cooler and darker outside."

That said, "you can't pinpoint a particular food as a villain, especially if eaten in moderation," notes Clow. "I'm a firm believer that all -- or most -- foods can be part of a healthy diet, if eaten on occasion and in small portions."

The problem with weight gain isn't necessarily what you eat, she adds, "but the sheer volume of food that tastes so good you keep eating more."

With that in mind, here are some ways to stay out of this fall's weight gain trap.

Do you gain weight in the winter?

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 12, 2016 at 8:45 AM

I typically gain 2 to 3 pounds during the winter.  I can't get outside to be as active as I am in other months.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 12, 2016 at 8:46 AM

I also have SAD, but I am not one that eats when depressed, I'm quite the opposite.

Saraholland
by Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 1:01 PM
I live in AZ and my friends and I all gain weight in the summer and then lose it in the winter. It must be because it's too hot to go outside in the summer so we get completely sedentary. when school starts up we are all fat and miserable and then as the months go by we start feeling a little bit better about ourselves.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)