• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fit pregnancy questions

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

Ok so I found out I am pregnant. 6 weeks, 5 days. A little early to announce but not too early to change habits to healthier ones since I am growing a baby. I have already been dieting for 8 months or so and I am down 50 lbs. I am still in the overweight category and for my to be in the normal range I would have needed to lose another 18 lbs. Now I know I can't lose weight based on what my dr said but here is what he advised: Maintain my current weight, less vigorous activity, don't skip on calories. So exercising no heavy breathing at all and heart rate not above 140 bpm. Its feels really early to slow down my exercising which is already pretty light. (Walking on treadmill on incline). I am just worried about eating calories to maintain because I haven't found that sweet spot number yet. Online is says 2000+ and that seems high. But cutting he said it bad for brain development. I would never want to do anything to harm baby! But also said I can't gain more than 11-25 lbs. My last baby was 9 lbs 6 oz so it was mostly all baby. ( I gained 20 or so) But I was also 30 lbs heavier with my last child. Sorry just stressing because I apparently need to eat more and exercise less but not gain weight. Any tips from experts out there is much appreciated!!! 

Thanks in advance. 

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
modmommabear
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't need any extra calories in the first trimester! How many do you eat now?

Also there is no reason to slow your workouts if you aren't high risk. Just use comments sense, if your dissy or over heating then make changes. Also lots of water. If you do need to slow down walk at an easier pace/incline. Add swimming or even yoga.

I personally jogged during my first trimester and my son is perfect, just listen to your body!!!
sheila5050
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Quoting modmommabear: You don't need any extra calories in the first trimester! How many do you eat now? Also there is no reason to slow your workouts if you aren't high risk. Just use comments sense, if your dissy or over heating then make changes. Also lots of water. If you do need to slow down walk at an easier pace/incline. Add swimming or even yoga. I personally jogged during my first trimester and my son is perfect, just listen to your body!!!

Thank you! I do listen to my body and the one thing I did do was slow my pace a little so I wasn't going so hard. I burn several hundred calories on treadmill and eat anywhere between 1500-1800 right now. I do not plan on eating any extra calories at all. I will continue to do some of my other exercises like lunges, planks, pushups until it isn't comfortable. I was told (not by dr) but that exercising is good and healthy through pregnancy and even helps with delivery. Always listen to my body. Thanks again! 

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
If you were already overweight there is no reason to not lose weight and STILL have a healthy pregnancy. Your body will make sure your baby gets what it needs so as long as you have all your bases cover with prenatal and eating a balanced diet focusing on meat, veggies and berries. You can still exercise doing light cardio, walking, swimming, light free weights, do standing ab exercises and no twisting exercises after the first trimester. I exercised my entire pregnancy, followed a lower carb diet (75 grams) and didn't gain a single pound. My baby was born full term, 7 lbs 4 ounces, 20.5 inches and under an hour delivery (she was my third). There is a really good book called "what your doctor doesn't know will kill you" that is very eye-opening. Another perk of eating a lower carb diet while pregnant is it will reduce your morning sickness. Good luck! Have a happy and healthy pregnancy!
sheila5050
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:44 PM
Thank you!!

Quoting MixedCooke: If you were already overweight there is no reason to not lose weight and STILL have a healthy pregnancy. Your body will make sure your baby gets what it needs so as long as you have all your bases cover with prenatal and eating a balanced diet focusing on meat, veggies and berries. You can still exercise doing light cardio, walking, swimming, light free weights, do standing ab exercises and no twisting exercises after the first trimester. I exercised my entire pregnancy, followed a lower carb diet (75 grams) and didn't gain a single pound. My baby was born full term, 7 lbs 4 ounces, 20.5 inches and under an hour delivery (she was my third). There is a really good book called "what your doctor doesn't know will kill you" that is very eye-opening. Another perk of eating a lower carb diet while pregnant is it will reduce your morning sickness. Good luck! Have a happy and healthy pregnancy!
BeFit-Mom
by Member on Feb. 20, 2017 at 3:39 PM

Let me know your age, height,pre-preg and current weight and I'll run your numbers...depending on starting BMI, and weight loss history, metabolic formulas can be off by 5%-10%

BeFit-Mom

sheila5050
by Member on Feb. 20, 2017 at 4:46 PM
146 pre pregnancy weight
148 weight now at 7 weeks pregnant
32 years old
5 ft 0 inches

Thanks!!!

Quoting BeFit-Mom:

Let me know your age, height,pre-preg and current weight and I'll run your numbers...depending on starting BMI, and weight loss history, metabolic formulas can be off by 5%-10%

BeFit-Mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)