Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello! Newbie with a gym question...

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:53 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hello everyone! I'm new! I'm Jackie from NYC, mom of 4, 36 yrs old. This January I was DX with type 2 diabetes which I have been keeping in check with diet and exercise, no meds needed. In February, I joined the gym, and I go 1-3 days a week depending on how I feel. I was 214 when I started going and I am now 210. Besides the diabetes, I also have osteoarthritis and inflammation in my muscles, If I try to push myself when exorcising, It will give me horrendous pain, my body will stiffen up terribly, and I will need a long recovery time before I can exercise again, so I avoid going that little extra mile.

So far, I do about 5-10 minutes of treadmill to warm me up, then I hit the weight machines to work abs, legs, or arms, depending what day it is. Even though I lost four pounds so far, I cannot fit into my clothes! On the scale I lost four pounds, but it feels like I am gaining weight BC my clothes does not fit!

Being that I am starting out, should I lay off the weight machines and just focus on the treadmill and elliptical for now? Also, I notice that since I starting working out, I am having trouble breathing when not working out, its like when I walk or talk, its like I have to catch my breath, is this a normal occurance for people who start working out?
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Do no give up weights. By doing weights, you will build muscle, burn fat at a faster rate and lose weight faster. In order to have a well balanced workout regimen you need to have cardio, strength and flexibility training included. Keep up the good work!
TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you drinking enough water?  Do you have a cold or anything?  The shortness of breath would concern me.  I think it's great that you are careful and moderate, and don't push yourself to the point where you have that extreme pain.  Not only would it be debilitating at that time, but it would be discouraging as well.  

I think working with the weights is really good for you, as long as you are doing it safely.  Weight bearing exercise builds bone as well as muscle, and helps your overall health.

Also, if you're looking for something gentle on your joints and safe on days when you are struggling with pain, or off days, I do Classical Stretch every morning.  It is on our local PBS station at 5:30 AM (Mountain Time), and I have DVR'd a bunch of episodes.  You can also buy it on DVD, but I'm cheap.  It makes my whole body feel good.  

almburr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM
Have you been given the ok to exercise by your doctor. Since you have other health issues besides diabetes.
Magickmom25
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, BC of the diabetes, I drink nothing but water, and no I am not sick thank goodness. The breathing issue has been going on since I started working out at the gym

Quoting TigerofMu:

Are you drinking enough water?  Do you have a cold or anything?  The shortness of breath would concern me.  I think it's great that you are careful and moderate, and don't push yourself to the point where you have that extreme pain.  Not only would it be debilitating at that time, but it would be discouraging as well.  

I think working with the weights is really good for you, as long as you are doing it safely.  Weight bearing exercise builds bone as well as muscle, and helps your overall health.

Also, if you're looking for something gentle on your joints and safe on days when you are struggling with pain, or off days, I do Classical Stretch every morning.  It is on our local PBS station at 5:30 AM (Mountain Time), and I have DVR'd a bunch of episodes.  You can also buy it on DVD, but I'm cheap.  It makes my whole body feel good.  

Magickmom25
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 5:59 PM
Yes, my doctor gave the all clear to exercise

Quoting almburr: Have you been given the ok to exercise by your doctor. Since you have other health issues besides diabetes.
Apr1l
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM
Id call up an ask the doctor about breathing. It could be that your body will have to exert less and your breathing will calm as it gets used to exercise

Quoting Magickmom25: Yes, my doctor gave the all clear to exercise

Quoting almburr: Have you been given the ok to exercise by your doctor. Since you have other health issues besides diabetes.
goddess99
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Hi Jackie, welcome! Make sure you bring it up to your doctor just to be on the safe side.
BiPolarMomto3
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:13 AM
Your breathing issues are most likely your body trying to adjust to workouts I have osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease as well as fibromyalgia and it kills me but I keep pushing myself...
BiPolarMomto3
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:14 AM
Once your body acclimates to working out your breathing should get better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)