Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have pear trees?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:06 PM
  • 22 Replies

We have two pear trees in our yard. I think they are bartlett pears.  I've never eaten one.  They are super small and super hard.  I just read that you need to pick them before they are soft and then let them ripen off the vine.  I never knew that.  Curious if anyone has pears and tips for me.

by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 3:02 PM
Not pear, but we have peach, apple, persimmon , blackberry and chestnut
othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 3:47 PM

I have never had pear trees, I hope you can find some information

egyptian_mommy
by Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:44 PM
No, I wish. I'd love to live somewhere where we could have fruit trees. They're not allowed in my current neighborhood unfortunately.
mamamedic69
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:51 PM

No pear trees here. I always call our local college that has an agricultural department with all my questions. They are a wealth of information.

lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:14 PM

We have an asian pear tree and another type (which was here when we moved in). We do pick the pears before they are soft and let them ripen.

peekaboo813
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:18 PM
My parents have pear trees and they pick them before they ripen but they call them "winter pears", they are very sweet but have a hard texture.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:22 AM

No pear trees but we use to have a plum tree .. yum, yum :)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 5, 2017 at 6:32 AM

For canning, I'll pick them when they're still firm (not hard).  For fresh eating, I like them when they're slightly soft and leave them on the tree until then for maximum sweetness.  

I have Kieffer and Red Bartlett.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 7:53 AM
Thats a good idea!

Quoting mamamedic69:

No pear trees here. I always call our local college that has an agricultural department with all my questions. They are a wealth of information.

mama2b100808
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 9:42 AM

We did but after years no one took care of them. I found out by mowing our yard. But I don't know how to bring them back to life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)