Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coconut oil study.

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:05 PM
  • 34 Replies

I use coconut oil to cook. After reading this I am looking at something else. What are your thoughts?

Coconut Oil Has Never Been Healthy.

USA TODAY

The American Heart Association recently released a report advising against the use of coconut oil. 

The Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease advisory reviewed existing data on saturated fat, showing coconut oil increased LDL ("bad") cholesterol in seven out of seven controlled trials. Researchers didn't see a difference between coconut oil and other oils high in saturated fat, like butter, beef fat and palm oil. In fact, 82% of the fat in coconut oil is saturated, according to the data - far beyond butter (63%), beef fat (50%) and pork lard (39%).

"Because coconut oil increases LDL cholesterol, a cause of CVD [cardiovascular disease], and has no known offsetting favorable effects, we advise against the use of coconut oil," the American Heart Association said in the Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease advisory

Frank Sacks, lead author on the report, said he has no idea why people think coconut oil is healthy. It's almost 100% fat. Past weight loss studies might be responsible. 

"The reason coconut oil is so popular for weight loss is partly due to my research on medium chain triglycerides," Marie-Pierre St-Onge, associate professor of nutritional medicine at Cornell University Medical School, told TIME in April. "Coconut oil has a higher proportion of medium-chain triglycerides than most other fats or oils, and my research showed eating medium-chain triglycerides may increase the rate of metabolism more than eating long-chain triglycerides."

The problem is St-Onge's research used a "designer oil" packed with 100% MCTs. Traditional coconut oil only contains about 13 to 15%. Another study she published showed smaller doses of MCTs doesn't help with weight loss in overweight adolescents

The AHA recommends eating no more than 6% of saturated fat as part of total daily calories for those who need lower cholesterol. 

Before you trash your coconut oil, know that saturated fat is a loaded term. While the AHA warns against it, people who cut saturated fat out of their diet might not necessarily lower their heart disease risk, a 2015 BMJ review suggested. That's because some people fill the void with sugar, white flour and empty calories. Also, some fat is important to help bodies absorb nutrients from other foods. Many have said butter has gotten a bad reputation. 

Still, it might not be a bad idea to opt for vegetable oils or olive oil, Stacks said. Plus, coconut oil can still be an effective moisturizer or hair conditioner. 

"You can put it on your body, but don't put it in your body," Sacks said.  

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kellileanne
by Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:08 PM
For every one "study" like this there are 20 that still say it is good.
othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:17 PM

I don't use coconut oil. There are so many studies that tell about how something is good or bad, it changes often

kimie54
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 3:33 PM

I'm trying to use as little of any kind of fat as possible, for weight loss, and to lower my cholesterol. I only use olive oil or a non stick spray for cooking, and sometimes a small amount of butter. I think any kind of fat that hardens at room temperature, is going to probably be a less healthy fat. Everything in moderation.

mikesmom65270
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM

I have never used coconut oil for cooking, so this doesn't bother me. I would strictly keep it for the outside and not inside.

johnny4ever
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:08 PM

I seen that also...hmm.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's CRAP.  Look at who is backing this, the American Heart Association.  They stand to lose BIG TIME if people get healthier.

FAT does not cause high cholesterol!  Cholesterol is something our bodies produce in response to inflammation/injury.  What causes inflammation?  Sugar and substances found in grains.  Lectins (found in grains) are what cause issues in the circulatory system.  Our bodies use cholesterol as a band-aid to protect vessel walls.  

Many recent studies prove that there is no correlation between consumption of saturated fat and cardiovascular risk.  Saturated fat can actually improve that risk.

When my husband and I switched to a paleo/primal diet, our cholesterol levels were bad.  Mine was over 300 and that was while I was on a statin.  DH's was over 220.  The next time I had blood work done, my cholesterol was NORMAL (and I'd dropped the statin long before that.)  DH just had his blood work done a few months ago and the doctor said his results were the best he's ever seen in a man his age, statin or no.  Guess what?  We eat red meat and use coconut oil, butter, lard, and olive oil in our diet.  None of that garbage known as vegetable oil or canola oil or any of the yellow seed oils that are heavily processed.  None of the fake butters, either.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
AHA is now in bed with Big Pharma!
mama2b100808
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 6:15 PM
I don't use this.
la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 20, 2017 at 7:05 PM

Eh, I'm not so sure on this but I rarely use it for cooking.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 9:57 PM
There's always something!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)