Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you drink for Protein shakes? The best list is confusing

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2017 at 5:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

I bought a case of Premier Protein at Costco, the ready made shakes. 24 count was $25 pretty cheap. They are 160 calories, 30g of protein, 3g fiber, 1g sugar, 5g carbs. They are delicious and I was taking 3 a day. My breakfast one was a meal replacement and I was taking one with a small lunch and small dinner. I am losing weight.

Come to find out they are on the "worst" list for artificial sugar, yet some with 23g of sugar are on the best list? Seriously how does that make any sense?

So I bought pure protein, only 120 calories, 23g of protein, 6g of fiber, 1g sugar, 7-8 carbs, only to see they are on the worst list too. UGH. They also taste great. On the worse list due to artificial sweeteners but still.....these are yummy and 5g of fiber which I need.

So I bought a 24 pack of Orgain Grass-fed Protein Shake from Costco for $40. Chocolate. These are on the best list because they are organic and from grass fed cows, gluten free, a short list of ingredients.  140 calories, 20g of protein (a tad low), 3g of fiber, 10g carbs, 4g sugar. They are good too.

What does everyone drink for a shake?

by on Oct. 9, 2017 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Oct. 9, 2017 at 6:20 PM
I buy PlantFusion powder and make my own.
MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Oct. 9, 2017 at 8:10 PM
Atkins shakes
mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 9, 2017 at 8:13 PM

I don't drink them...sorry. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 12:03 AM

I stick with 100% whey protein isolate with little or no sugar.  I can't have the sugar, because it makes me ill.  Some of my favorites are Inspire, from bariatriceating.com, Syntrax, GNC's whey protein, Isopure, which is also at GNC, and Clear, which is from Premiere Protein and I buy at Sam's Club.  I used to really like Lift by Atkins (It's a clear protein drink with no fat.  Their other drinks are really high in fat and make me ill.), but cannot find it locally anymore.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Which ‘best’ list? There are so many opinions on that!
I prefer powdered protein-
My favorites are by far Stark-it’s the best flavor wise but the most expensive. Then Ascent, also expensive but tastes pretty good. Then EAS which is average flavor but cheap when I can’t afford my top two choices.
highlandmum
by Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 11:35 AM

I like the Vega One shakes.  No idea if they are on the best or worst list, but I always purchase the powder and mix it myself at home.

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 7:53 PM

I haven't heard of Stark or Ascent.  I'll have to look for them!

Quoting Vertical15: Which ‘best’ list? There are so many opinions on that! I prefer powdered protein- My favorites are by far Stark-it’s the best flavor wise but the most expensive. Then Ascent, also expensive but tastes pretty good. Then EAS which is average flavor but cheap when I can’t afford my top two choices.

alli1204
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 7:56 PM
Well crap. I do the premier protein shakes mixed with 2 shots of espresso from Starbucks. It’s delicious!! I’m doing weight watchers and it’s super low in points.
Oliviasmom72
by Member on Oct. 24, 2017 at 11:44 AM

I love Premier Protein I just bought an 18 pack from Costco. For protein, calories, sugar, fiber this makes an excellent meal replacement for me. It may contain artifical sweetener but I dont understand how one shake with 25g of sugar makes the best list. Yuck.

Quoting alli1204: Well crap. I do the premier protein shakes mixed with 2 shots of espresso from Starbucks. It’s delicious!! I’m doing weight watchers and it’s super low in points.

JonathansNinny
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2017 at 1:05 AM

you could also try genepro or isopure.  If your using protein shakes for weight loss, you should be getting in 75-80 grams of protein a day, low carbs, 64 oz of water.  I have had bariatric surgery 19 months ago and no longer need the protein shakes, im able to get all of my protein from my food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)