Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kathy's weight loss journey

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2017 at 1:41 AM
  • 1 Replies
1 mom liked this

Let me start out by intoducing myself.  My name is Kathy and i am 52 yrs old.  I have 2 grown daughters and 2 grandchildren.  All of my life i can recall being overweight or always the fat kid.  Over the last 15 years i have probably put on 35-50 pounds. Around Nov of 2015 i was diagnosised with Type 2 diabetes and placed  on metformin daily.  I also had high blood pressure, high chlosterol, pretty severe sciatia problems, herniated disc and anemia.  I realized i was on a fast track to an early death as heart problems and diabetes run in the family.  All of my life i did the yo yo dieting, skipping meals, you name it i probably tried it to loose weight, but in the end i was just to lazy and didnt care about my looks or life. After being diagnosed with diabetes that was my wake up call, i didnt want to wake up one day and wonder how did i end up at 600-700 pounds, i have grandchildren that need me and i want to be there for them, i didnt want them to take care of me.  I begin to look into my options.  I knew i wasnt disiplined enough to do it on my own.  I decided it was time for weight loss surgery.  Many people say that i took the cowards way out,etc.  No i didnt take the cowards way out, and anybody that tells you that weight loss surgery is a cop out, needs to do better research.  I started my journey in June of 2016.  My first step was a seminar on bariatric surgery.  After attending the seminar and deciding that was my best chance at a new life, i started with all of my requirements.  first things first was to set up an appointment with the surgeon to tell me the best type for me, (yes it was embarassing to weigh in at 255# and only 5'1), my wonderful sugeron decided that with my diabetes and severe acid reflux, that RNY was the best option for me.  My journey included 7 nutrition classes, (1 a month), blood work, ekg, xrays, upper GI, and a visit with the staff psych dr. I knew i was taking on alot and often wondered why am i doing this, i only needed to look at my grandkids and knew i had to keep on with the program.  I learned alot at the nutrition classes and learned i have an addiction to food. In jan 2016 i completed all of my requirements and my paperwork was sent in for insurance approval.  I recieved the approval in Feb 2016 and surgery was set for April 1, 2016.  Two weeks prior to surgery i had to go on a clear liquid diet, to shrink my liver, and oh yes the hunger was there. This was no joke, and many times i thought i cant do this, im quitting, needless to say with a few bumps in the road on the liquid diet (yes i cheated) i made it to surgery date.  I arrived at the hospital and weighed in at 229#.  April 1, 2016 my life changed for the better.  I wont say it has been an easy road, because it has been rough and full of ups and downs.  I have had to relearn how to eat food, and how to eat small portions as my new stomach is very finicky and picky.  I had been warned that my taste buds could change and boy have they.  

Now if your not familar with RNY, i suggest you research it and watch the videos on youtube.  You loose about 90% of your stomach and your intestines are rerouted.  My stomach basically went from the size of a football to the size of an egg.  After surgery you are on a clear liquid diet for a week and than for the next 3 weeks you are on a soft/pureed diet. Keeping in mind during this time you can only handle about a tablespoon of anything.  Yes you may feel hungry or not feel hungry at all.  Food may not settle on your new tummy and may make you miserable.  During the first 90 days after surgery i had the hunger pains, not hungry, to lots of upset tummies, and restarting with clear liquids for 48 hours then soft foods again.,many times i wondered what in the world had i done. In fact i went on vacation just 6 weeks after my surgery and wondered how in the world am i going to be able to do this.  Simple i managed with alot of walking, water, watching what i ate and if i found myself hungry i would find something to do to take my mind off of the food.

Eating after bariatric surgery!  You are required in the begining to get your protein from protein shakes, such as premier protein, isopure, genepro etc and get in 64oz of water.  Now rememeber the first month is alway the hardest, i was never able to get in the entire 75-80 grams of protein daily let alone the 64oz of water.  Month 2 was a little easier with the occasional quirk sometimes having to go back and starting all over again.  And the "dumping" man that is pure torture.  "dumping" is caused sometimes by to much fat in the diet, or to much sugar.  Believe me i wouldnt want to watch my worst enemy suffer from "dumping"  cold sweats, hear racing, light headed, shaking nauseated. This can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours.  You learn real quick what foods causes you to dump.

Leaving the hospital after surgery i was 245# from all of the iv fluid and the gas they pump you full of.  Belive me gas pains are very real, and you learn quickly the best way to get rid of it is to 'WALK WALK WALK"

Today i am 19 months post RNY and i weigh 153#.  I have went from a size 2x/3x pants and an extra large shirts to a size 8 pants and a medium shirt.  Yes i have excess skin, no im not worried about having it removed.  I have what my grandson calls warrior wings on my arms from the excess weight loss.  I can now run and keep up with my very active 5 yr old grandson, in fact i was the team mom on his spring baseball league.  Yes i still have about 20-25# to go, will i loose it, I honestly dont know, what i do know is that i am very happy with where i am at.  I seem to be maintaing my weight between 152#-157# and yes im happy with that.  I have lost about 50% of my body fat went from a BMI of 48.2 to a BMI of 28.7  i have went from morbidly obese to overweight.

If you have any questions about my journey or would like to know how to do a bariatric diet without the surgery please feel free to ask, i will answer any questions or address any comments good or bad that you would like to leave.

by on Oct. 31, 2017 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
supermom.sv
by Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Congratulations on your weight loss Kathy!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)