Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Replacing Carbs:(

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2017 at 9:41 AM
  • 7 Replies

Is there any such thing as a good carb or good carb substitute?

Or do you just avoid carbs all together?

My weakness is bread and pretzels.So hard to say goodbye:(.

~Tia

by on Nov. 30, 2017 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
newwifenmom
by Member on Nov. 30, 2017 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Daily motivation (25 photos)lower carb swaps http://papasteves.com

I personally keep the good ones low also, eating healthy fats in place of them to stave off hunger

kimie54
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2017 at 10:21 AM

I really don't sub anything. I feel, that if you deny yourself certain things, it won't work in the long haul. I do think, that you should try to eat as healthy as possible, but allow yourself a treat now and then. In my opinion, there is no substituting for some things, just eating way less of them.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 30, 2017 at 11:08 AM

It's impossible to avoid all carbs, but you can easily make healthier choices by choosing nutrient dense foods such as leafy greens, veggies, meats/eggs/cheese, most of which are naturally lower in carbs.  

I avoid grains and fruit for health reasons and I have to eat this way for the rest of my life, thus my diet is naturally low in carbs and high in flavor.  I have no problem saying goodbye to the empty tasteless carbs in breads/cereals/pasta/snacks.  I use veggies in place of pasta and make flaxseed meal or coconut flour "pancakes" to use for wraps, or muffins, etc.  If I want salty/crunchy, I go for a handful of nuts.

lovingladyo4
by New Member on Dec. 3, 2017 at 5:54 PM

There is quite a difference in carbs - low glycemic and high glycemic. The glycemic index measures the amount of sugar that gets dumped into the blood stream, how fast it gets dumped, and how high it spikes blood sugar. So depending on what your health condition is and what your goals are, you can decide which ones are appropriate for you.

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2017 at 9:41 PM

I try to get all my carbs from low sugar vegetables.  I don't eat any bread, pasta, rice, etc. No flour, sugar, and not a lot of fruit.

lovingladyo4
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 7:15 PM

Avoiding carbs is called the Ketogenic diet (remember the Adkins diet?)

Well this is the same principle - when you keep glucose out of your diet, which is your main source of fuel for energy, your body is forced to go the fat reserves stored up for its energy. A ketpgenic diet is recommended for those who desire to lose weight. It is also the preferred diet by doctors treating epileptic children, as the fat alters the brain function and the child gets rid of seizures.

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's impossible to avoid all carbs, but you can easily make healthier choices by choosing nutrient dense foods such as leafy greens, veggies, meats/eggs/cheese, most of which are naturally lower in carbs.  

I avoid grains and fruit for health reasons and I have to eat this way for the rest of my life, thus my diet is naturally low in carbs and high in flavor.  I have no problem saying goodbye to the empty tasteless carbs in breads/cereals/pasta/snacks.  I use veggies in place of pasta and make flaxseed meal or coconut flour "pancakes" to use for wraps, or muffins, etc.  If I want salty/crunchy, I go for a handful of nuts.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 4, 2017 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I understand avoiding high carb foods and ketosis.  That's how I eat.  What I'm saying is that even eggs, cheese, green leafy veggies and meats have a small amount of carbs in them, so avoiding ALL carbs is well nigh impossible unless one goes on a water fast.  Ketogenic diets are achieved at amounts under 20g of carbs daily.  It's a great plan for treatment of other problems, too.  

Quoting lovingladyo4:

Avoiding carbs is called the Ketogenic diet (remember the Adkins diet?)

Well this is the same principle - when you keep glucose out of your diet, which is your main source of fuel for energy, your body is forced to go the fat reserves stored up for its energy. A ketpgenic diet is recommended for those who desire to lose weight. It is also the preferred diet by doctors treating epileptic children, as the fat alters the brain function and the child gets rid of seizures.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)