Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm my own worst enemy

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2017 at 11:19 PM
  • 5 Replies
I only started running in June and I signed up for my first 5k run in September. I hurt my knee 10 days before the race and with PT and kinetic tape I was able to get through the race, although it wasn't very pretty. I should have taken at least 2 weeks off after that but I was stubborn and kept trying to run and exercise. The pain shifted to the outside of my knee to the IT band in October and I still kept stubbornly trying to do stuff. I finally took a couple of weeks off from everything, no running, no exercise at all except for some upper body exercise towards the end of the 2 weeks. I started trying to run again about 3 weeks ago and I'm taking it slow, easing back into it. Of course now the past week the weather has gone to shit so I am using the dreadmill. We're supposed to have some nicer weather this week so hopefully I can run outside at least one day. If I had taken a real break back in September, I would be so much further along right now. I always have to do things the hard way!
by on Dec. 17, 2017 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2017 at 8:01 AM
Yep except I always shoot myself in the foot with my diet. Cheat meal becomes cheat day which becomes cheat weekend which becomes not dieting. I just need to stay on track with no cheats because they just start the cycle all over again.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM

I didn't listen to my body in April of 2016 and ended up on complete bedrest 2 months later due to SI joint injury that caused a load of inflammation and pain from lower back on down my left leg to my toes.  MONTHS of recuperation followed that could have been avoided if I'd taken off work for 2 weeks and let it rest.  Would have helped if the dr had diagnosed it correctly the first time, too, but he did advise rest and I wouldn't so I can't blame him completely.

Brain_fart
by Member on Dec. 18, 2017 at 9:39 AM
Why do we do this to ourselves?!? I belong to a couple of running groups on Facebook and a couple of weeks ago, there was a post saying "Give your best advice to a new runner in 4 words! " I said "Listen to your body " A couple of idiots said stuff like"Run through the pain " and "It doesn't really hurt ". Way to really mess someone up!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I didn't listen to my body in April of 2016 and ended up on complete bedrest 2 months later due to SI joint injury that caused a load of inflammation and pain from lower back on down my left leg to my toes.  MONTHS of recuperation followed that could have been avoided if I'd taken off work for 2 weeks and let it rest.  Would have helped if the dr had diagnosed it correctly the first time, too, but he did advise rest and I wouldn't so I can't blame him completely.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2017 at 10:24 AM

I've always worked through the pain but my age is a factor here since my body doesn't bounce back like it did 30 years ago.  My chiropractor/kinesiologist has since convinced me to listen better.

Quoting Brain_fart: Why do we do this to ourselves?!? I belong to a couple of running groups on Facebook and a couple of weeks ago, there was a post saying "Give your best advice to a new runner in 4 words! " I said "Listen to your body " A couple of idiots said stuff like"Run through the pain " and "It doesn't really hurt ". Way to really mess someone up!
Quoting michiganmom116:

Kangat2-3
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2017 at 4:31 PM
These injuries are your body asking you to slow down.
Fully recover and stretch and roll out your it band regularly
I hope you find some Blessings during this difficult pause.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)