Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas present /new goal

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2017 at 9:29 AM
  • 12 Replies
My husband gave me a Garmin Forerunner watch for Christmas as I requested. It's too flipping cold to run outside right now but I'll figure out how it works by the time it warms up enough to use it. I decided to start training for a 10k in the spring. If you saw my other posts, you know that I just started running in June and I hurt my knee 10 days before my first 5k run in September. Because of my knee injury, I had to walk part of the race and I was one of the last ones to finish but I finished. The couch to 5k app served me well so I am going to use the couch to 10k app this time. The Pittsburgh marathon in May also has a 5k and a 10k and even if I don't actually run the race, I would like to have the ability to do it. I'm waiting until the last minute to sign up in case I get hurt again and I won't feel so much pressure. I'm starting this morning. I'm using the treadmill while the weather is cold. Not ideal but better than nothing.
by on Dec. 26, 2017 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2017 at 10:52 PM

You bet the treadmill is better than nothing , nice gift.

Brain_fart
by Member on Dec. 26, 2017 at 11:24 PM
I just don't enjoy the treadmill as much. No matter how fast you run, you're still in the same spot.

Quoting letstalk747:

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2017 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Way to go!  That's a fantastic goal!

Oliviasmom72
by Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Me either but put it on a 5% incline or more, you will feel the burn. That and some music makes the treadmill tolerable for me.

Quoting Brain_fart: I just don't enjoy the treadmill as much. No matter how fast you run, you're still in the same spot.
Quoting letstalk747:

Brain_fart
by Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 12:43 PM
Oh I feel the burn and I listen to music while I run but it's not the same. It'll do until it warms up enough to run outside.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Me either but put it on a 5% incline or more, you will feel the burn. That and some music makes the treadmill tolerable for me.

Quoting Brain_fart: I just don't enjoy the treadmill as much. No matter how fast you run, you're still in the same spot.

Quoting letstalk747:

kristin_ad
by Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 5:21 PM
Nice gift! You will never know unless you try.It's in the single digits here where I live.I don't have a treadmill so I run outdoors.I always tell myself I'm bad ass for running in the cold😜 or at 5 am.It's tough at first but once you get used to it,it will become part of you.
Brain_fart
by Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 5:45 PM
You ARE a badass for running in the cold! The coldest temp I can run on is maybe 36 or 37 and even that's tough. I have a hard time breathing. It's single digits in the morning here and only 16 or17 as the high. It got really cold really fast. Only a week ago I went for a run outside but now it's colder than a well diggers nuts. I go to Planet Fitness and run on the treadmill there.

Quoting kristin_ad: Nice gift! You will never know unless you try.It's in the single digits here where I live.I don't have a treadmill so I run outdoors.I always tell myself I'm bad ass for running in the cold😜 or at 5 am.It's tough at first but once you get used to it,it will become part of you.
kristin_ad
by Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM
I never ran on a treadmill but I will probably get bored.Hats off to all those who do it! I can't ran longer when it's in the single digit though.I even wear two gloves yet tips of my fingers gets frozen fast.Don't want to end up a popsicle lol! Your knee better?Have you ever tried signing up for winter races?

Quoting Brain_fart: You ARE a badass for running in the cold! The coldest temp I can run on is maybe 36 or 37 and even that's tough. I have a hard time breathing. It's single digits in the morning here and only 16 or17 as the high. It got really cold really fast. Only a week ago I went for a run outside but now it's colder than a well diggers nuts. I go to Planet Fitness and run on the treadmill there.

Quoting kristin_ad: Nice gift! You will never know unless you try.It's in the single digits here where I live.I don't have a treadmill so I run outdoors.I always tell myself I'm bad ass for running in the cold😜 or at 5 am.It's tough at first but once you get used to it,it will become part of you.
Brain_fart
by Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 6:47 PM
My knee feels better but I'm slowly getting back into running after taking a break in November. That's another reason why I'm doing the couch to 10k program. It's a good way to slowly build up my endurance. Since I started running again after my break, my endurance sucks. I get bored running on the but it will warm up eventually and we usually have a couple of warm days here and there in January.

Quoting kristin_ad: I never ran on a treadmill but I will probably get bored.Hats off to all those who do it! I can't ran longer when it's in the single digit though.I even wear two gloves yet tips of my fingers gets frozen fast.Don't want to end up a popsicle lol! Your knee better?Have you ever tried signing up for winter races?

Quoting Brain_fart: You ARE a badass for running in the cold! The coldest temp I can run on is maybe 36 or 37 and even that's tough. I have a hard time breathing. It's single digits in the morning here and only 16 or17 as the high. It got really cold really fast. Only a week ago I went for a run outside but now it's colder than a well diggers nuts. I go to Planet Fitness and run on the treadmill there.

flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 10:32 AM

A few years back I got a garmin forerunner for running.  I do  not run as much now but I definitely still use my forerunner watch for biking. Love being able to see my mile splits and all the pace details. Keeping track of fastest times for routes.  I use a tm during the cold months too & yeah it's boring & a stuggle motivation wise to go do it, but it's something, like you say.  I never load my indoor activites into the garmin connect ,but it would be a good way to keep all the work outs recorded, kind of as a motivator.  Enjoy your new gift, it was a good one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)