Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband gave me a Garmin Forerunner watch for Christmas as I requested. It's too flipping cold to run outside right now but I'll figure out how it works by the time it warms up enough to use it. I decided to start training for a 10k in the spring. If you saw my other posts, you know that I just started running in June and I hurt my knee 10 days before my first 5k run in September. Because of my knee injury, I had to walk part of the race and I was one of the last ones to finish but I finished. The couch to 5k app served me well so I am going to use the couch to 10k app this time. The Pittsburgh marathon in May also has a 5k and a 10k and even if I don't actually run the race, I would like to have the ability to do it. I'm waiting until the last minute to sign up in case I get hurt again and I won't feel so much pressure. I'm starting this morning. I'm using the treadmill while the weather is cold. Not ideal but better than nothing.
by on Dec. 26, 2017 at 9:29 AM
Replies (11-12):
Brain_fart
by Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM
I haven't even looked at the Garmin connect. I haven't completely figured out how to use my watch. Since the nasty weather is going to be around for a while, I'm not in a hurry lol. What kind do you have? Mine is the forerunner 10. It's pretty basic which is all I wanted. I figure if I use it a lot, maybe later I can upgrade. I've been using the Runkeeper app on my phone but it takes up a lot of room.

Quoting flowrsgalore:

A few years back I got a garmin forerunner for running.  I do  not run as much now but I definitely still use my forerunner watch for biking. Love being able to see my mile splits and all the pace details. Keeping track of fastest times for routes.  I use a tm during the cold months too & yeah it's boring & a stuggle motivation wise to go do it, but it's something, like you say.  I never load my indoor activites into the garmin connect ,but it would be a good way to keep all the work outs recorded, kind of as a motivator.  Enjoy your new gift, it was a good one!

flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Mine is probably 5 years old now its  a 410 model. I'm just happy the thing  still works.  It came with a heart monitor strap thing that I never bothered with.  I use it to record my miles & get details on my pace & routes. I have no people on garmin connect that see my activities. I use runkeeper too when the watch battery isn't charged up enough. Hopefully your newer model will hold a charge a nice good time between uses. Youtube vidoes are helpful when you need to figure stuff out with the watch, deleting old activites off always trips me up.

Quoting Brain_fart: I haven't even looked at the Garmin connect. I haven't completely figured out how to use my watch. Since the nasty weather is going to be around for a while, I'm not in a hurry lol. What kind do you have? Mine is the forerunner 10. It's pretty basic which is all I wanted. I figure if I use it a lot, maybe later I can upgrade. I've been using the Runkeeper app on my phone but it takes up a lot of room.
Quoting flowrsgalore:

A few years back I got a garmin forerunner for running.  I do  not run as much now but I definitely still use my forerunner watch for biking. Love being able to see my mile splits and all the pace details. Keeping track of fastest times for routes.  I use a tm during the cold months too & yeah it's boring & a stuggle motivation wise to go do it, but it's something, like you say.  I never load my indoor activites into the garmin connect ,but it would be a good way to keep all the work outs recorded, kind of as a motivator.  Enjoy your new gift, it was a good one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)