Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tooth damaged- Need help

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 4:40 AM
  • 3 Replies

Last year while partying my tooth got damaged. I didn't give much importance to it at that time. At that time dentist suggested undergoing tooth implant or filling. But I didn't do it because I was least bothered about it. But now my tooth has completely damaged and the position is vacant. I told my friend that I am planning to do bridging. But she said that - If you choose to place a fixed bridge instead of getting a dental implant, your jawbone will eventually begin to deteriorate underneath the missing tooth. This occurs because you don't receive adequate stimulation to the bone without a tooth root. The same occurs with dentures that are not implant-supported. The longer you wait to get dental implants, the more likely it is that your jawbone may lack the integrity to get implants in the future without a dental bone graft. So I planning to undergo tooth implant procedure from a clinic in Livingston. Is there any complication involved in this procedure? Are there any steps that I should take towards protecting the implants? Please give your suggestions

by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 4:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Oliviasmom72
by Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM

I am missing a back tooth and I am now going to need a bone graft. Having no tooth back there and ruined my gum. So I agree with your decision to get an implant. I need to get one but it is so expensive even with my insurance.

sheila5050
by Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 10:12 AM
Hi! Worked in dental field 10 years. Implants are spendy but if you're a good candidate (sometimes they have you get a scan to check jawbone) the success rate is 90%. Higher than any other procedure. Plus if your don't have crowns on the adjacent teeth prepping those for no reason to hold the pontic causes potential problems. Even more since they are supporting a heavier load. Do your research to find a Dr to do the implant if that's what you choose. Good luck! :)
coala
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 10:57 AM

In the last 2 years I have lost a tooth on both the upper and lower in the exact same spot.  It was the last tooth on that side.  It came down to if they try to do a filling the tooth will crumble, if they tried to a root canal the tooth would crumble, or I could extract the tooth because that is what would happen in either of the other cases.  My dentist never even suggested getting an implant or a bridge (not that their is anything to bridge to).  I have a very small mouth and even when I was younger they knew that this would be a possibility when I was older.  I hate the fact that I am now missing 6 teeth (4 were pulled when I was in my teens due to crowding) and now I have lost 2 more.  They don't suspect that I will lose any more in the next several years.  Due to the size of my mouth I apparently, wasn't able to brush the two that I've lost very well which led to the decay.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

I am missing a back tooth and I am now going to need a bone graft. Having no tooth back there and ruined my gum. So I agree with your decision to get an implant. I need to get one but it is so expensive even with my insurance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)