Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advice on eating well...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:19 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have a few questions. What do u eat thru out the day? like what's an example of ur typical daily menu? What can I eat for breakfast that's quick & healthy? I dont have time to cook eggs or anything else healthy on most mornings. Also, what do u do for snacks? I snack all night. I'll eat a good dinner, but then I end up snacking all night until I go to bed. And what do u do to crave chocolate/sweet cravings? I know it's alot of questions, but I'm new at this. Thanks ladies!

busy momCrystal  margarita time
*Single, working, loving mom to Madison - 3 1/2 & Danny - 19mons

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MADAmom2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:59 PM

bump

busy momCrystal  margarita time
*Single, working, loving mom to Madison - 3 1/2 & Danny - 19mons

growingraw.com
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 2:59 AM

Hi Crystal,

Sometimes I wonder if it would be psychologically easier for people to focus on the good eating habits they want to create, instead of worrying about bad eating habits like late-night snacking and avoiding sweet cravings. It seems like denying yourself might make it harder in the long run, as you end up winding yourself up like a spring.

Instead think to yourself that you're going to start a habit that will give your body the health that it deserves. You'll feel more positive, and the healthy habit you establish can then gradually push out the snacks and chocolates. If you're interested in choosing a new healthy eating habit, check out:

http://www.growingraw.com/healthy-food-habits.html

Trina

MarclynsMommy
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I was like you- a snacker at night. That's usually after dinner watching TV and EATING!

I eat 6 small meals throughout the day. Like yogurt or almonds or string cheese for snacks. For beating the snacking cravings of something bad- I have BAKED chips and just count them out to whatever the serving size is. Skinny cow ice cream is another good one. Only 140 calories each.

This is a huge step for me. I could eat a whole bag of chips or Ben and Jerrys by meyself. I also don't eat 3 hours before going to sleep.

lisakuhel
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I make a scrambled egg (takes less than 1 minute) and put smashed up avacado on it for breakfast.

Lunch is a spinach salad with chicken on top. (there are kits you can get a costco or make chicken ahead of time)

Dinner is stir fry. Cabbage, onion, carrots etc and either chicken or meat with some sort of marinade. You can mix it up so many different ways, I never get bored!

I also drink a TON of water ALL day! Flushing toxins!  Between these meals, walking and my herbal body wraps, my body is almost where I want it to be!

AM-BRAT
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I have my coffee while my girls eat breakfast. (about 6-7 am)

Before I work out, I'll have half a Thomas brand whole wheat bagel. After I work out, I'll have roast beef and egg whites with hot sauce, or oatmeal and blueberries. (about 9-10 am)

At lunchtime I have non fat plain yogurt with granola and raw cashews. (around noon)

At snack time with the girls, I have what they're having. Fruit, or cottage cheese, carrot sticks or crackers. (at 3-4 p,)

Dinner time I eat what I've made for the family. Casseroles, crock pot dishes, you name it. I always use extra lean ground beef, or boneless skinless chicken, turkey sausage and veggies. (around 6 pm)

I never eat after that, I don't use condemints, and I only drink water (lots) or skim milk. Nothing else.

I also workout whenever I can, and give myself a break if I want a cookie. HTH!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
californiamomo1
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Hello Madmom2,

i have a good recipes website called  eatingwell.com... i have a few recipes that i would really like to try... Check  you the website.

jacqueline berry

ohgooshie
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM

A good easy breakfast is some fresh fruit, or yogurt and nuts (especially almonds) roasted and UNsalted =)

I LOVe almonds... And because I am BF, it's a good snack for me. About 10 to 15 is a good portion. Also, carrot sticks, cucumber, or any other veggie is good to carry in your purse for a light snack throughout the day... TRY not to skip meals and snack with fiber ich carb low things---GOOD LUCK!

ummkhayree
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Hi everyone !

I am new to this group as well as cafemom. I recently signed my family up for this site http://www.50millionpounds.com/ and it was the best thing I have done. We lost weight quickly and also learned how to eat our meals with the correct portion size. It helps you to get the correct amount of fruits,veggies,proteins in on a daily basis. Let me know what you think.

Jumanah

bloggin_momma
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM

almost every single morning I have oatmeal! I never have extra time to do anything fancy in the morning....I like to sleep in and since daycare feeds my boys I dont have to worry about cooking for them =D What I do is when I wake up I do downstairs and start boiling 1 cup water and walk away for a few minutes go to the bathroom and wake up my oldest, then go back to the kitchen by then my water is boiling I dump half a cup oats in, stir it, put a lid on the pot and turn off the heat then I finish geting ready I come back maybe 45 min later it's all cooled off and I dump 1/2 cup applesauce in and slpenda or stevia stir and eat =D its under 200 calories even if I add some blueberries and strawberries to it =D and with the whole grains it really keeps me satisfied for a while =D

for snacks (and I eat them every 2-3 hours) I usually have fresh fruit (Like banana, apple, cut up melon which I cut up at nighttime its great cause its fiiling and on hand and it inspiraes the kids to grab a healthy snack instead of a fruit roll up)  or if I have a sweet tooth ( and I do alot lol)  I have a chex mix bar (My fav is the turtle bar its only 100 calories!) I usally try to keep it down to 100 or so calories maybe a little more calories if its a healhty snack like almonds (I really like cocoa roasted almonds by emarld they sell them at target for sure and I have seen them in a couple other places.

Not snacking at night was hard....at first and still sometimes a little bit. But I had to tell my self if I want to succed I need to stop! When I have the urge to do mindless snacking I ask myself am I really hungry or just bored? usually its just bored since I just ate dinner. So I make my self un bored....I clean up the kitchen, get things ready for tomorrow morning (which really makes the morning go by so much smoother!) lay out the kids clothes or even pop in a exercise video if I am really motivated at that time =D Whenever I just want to eat everything and abandon my new healthy lifesytle I just ask myself "How good will that taste?" then I imagine eating it and then it being over and then I ask myself "now, how good will being thin feel?" and I picture myself being all hot and sexy and that urge for whatever I wanted to eat is gone!

As far as sweet cravings go (and I am a major sweets person!) Like I mentioned above the chex mix bars also there are a variety of 100 calories snack bags....I do try not to go overboard and have them all the time cause its just makes me crave more so I really try to hanlde my sweet tooth with fruit like watermelon which is a major fav of the whole household right now! Really most anything in moderation (that is key) is ok its hard to stop once you start so I just try to never start. I make my meals sweet and savory and that really keeps keep cravings at bay.

I have lost 26 lbs so far with another 15 to go =D

pamr95
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Lots of good ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)