• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fast healthy options?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hey ladies so im very busy all day and dont have much time to sit down and eat or cook much, I work full time take care of my daughter and will be going back to school in august, so natrually my days go one of two ways....I dont eat anything all day so by the time i get home im STARVING and eat everything in my kitchen, or stop by a fast food jointe..... Or i munch all day and dont eat a solid meal so im not getting any nutrients.... any ideas ladies?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sahm_krystal33
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM

After your daughter goes to bed, cut up some fruit and veggies and put them into plastic baggies. Same with healthy snacks like dry cereal, almonds, and other quick to grab foods like yogurt and a plastic spoon, bananas, etc... just easy stuff you can grab on the go. When cooking dinner, say you have chicken breasts, make extra and put them in the fridge. You can make soups and casseroles and freeze them. The crockpot is a great option for dinners because you can put everything in it in the morning and it will be done by dinnertime. The key to all of this is to always be prepared. Look up nutritonal stats for fast food places in case you have to stop there one day. Stuff like Subway is always a good option. If you are having oatmeal for breakfast, just set the oats out and whatever you want to add to it so i the morning all you have to do is boil water and mix it all up.

Are you ready to Challenge Yourself? Need to lose weight? Tone up? Join this group, have fun with friends, 12 week challenges, great prizes, and weightloss for life! Come check out Challenge Yourself!!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/99365
chel1023
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Plan ahead.  If you are able, after you daughter goes to sleep, prepare healthy snacks, clean grapes, carrots, etc. and have them handy so you can grab and go.  Also, on the weekends make large healthy meals so you can have leftovers.  Cook once, eat all week!!!  Take a half an hour a week to make a plan for the week ahead, cook on Sunday and freeze things.  Tuppuware is your freind!!!  Keep granola bars, 100 cal packs, portion out almonds in baggies and keep those on hand too (great source of protein and a quick pick me up).  When you are on the go pack a lunch, turkey wrap (takes minutes to prepare), just buy a few freezer packs and an insolated bag and you can have lunch while you drive from work to class if needed.  YOu can do it, if you just plan ahead.  Good luck!! 

CoachJenn
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM
Luckily, there are now lots of healthy options even at fast food joints. Here is an article I wrote on this. Enjoy!

I have two young children so some of their FAVORITE food choices include fast food. I try my best to avoid these restaurants as much as possible, but in this economy, it’s difficult to pass up a quick, and inexpensive meal from time to time. I’m sure fast food is also an easy choice for many of you for a variety of reasons.

I decided to do a little research on the healthier options at some of the more popular fast food chains. Here is what I found:
McDonalds

Fruit ‘n Yogurt Parfait (no Granola)
130 Calories, Fat 2g, Carbs 25g, Protein 4g

Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken with Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette
260 Calories, Fat 9g, Carbs 15g, Protein 31g

Fruit and Walnut Salad (Snack Size)
210 Calories, Fat 8g, Carbs 31g, Protein 4g

Burger King

BK Broiler Chicken Sandwich
267 Calories, Fat 8g, Carbs 25g, Protein 22g

Chunky Chicken Salad
142 Calories, Fat 4g, Carbs 25g, Protein 20g

Subway

6″ Veggie Delight
200 Calories, Fat 2.5, Carbs 37g, Protein 7

6″ Honey Mustard Turkey with Cucumber
275 Calories, Fat 3.5g, Carbs 42g, Protein 22g

KFC

Tender Roast Sandwich with Mustard (no secret sauce)
300 Calories, Fat 4,5g, Carbs 28g, Protein 37g

Jack in the Box

Chicken Fajita Pita
284 Calories, Fat 9g, Carbs 30g, Protein 22g

Keep an eye on your portions and drink water instead of fountain drinks. This alone can save up to 425 calories for like in one 32 ounce Big Gulp. Many of these restaurants post nutritional information on their web sites so you can research more options according to your preferences. Armed with this knowledge before you place your order, can really be helpful.

PersonalFitCoach.com
Daily Fitness Tips, Free Fitness Coaching & Great Home Workouts
Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Abs, P90X, ChaLEAN Extreme... MORE!
Win up to $1000 Daily just for logging in your workouts. 

brae425
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Thanks soo much ladies...

I always tryto by healthy foods but they seem to go bad cuz i dont have time to cook or prepare them but ima but lots of lil baggies and have everything ready as needed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)