Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Treadmill vs Elliptical

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am looking at buying something where I can walk/run indoors. Can anyone give me insight as to what they have found to be better? Thanks!

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyWifey4907
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I have an elliptical, and I LOVE it!  It's so much easier on my joints, since it's not such a rough impact.  And with the one I have, as I'm sure most are these days, I can change the program I'm on so it'll change the resistance level at random intervals.  We got ours off of Craigslist for $50 and it's in absolutely perfect condition.

mnrock
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I have an elliptical too.  I tried out tons of them in the store until I found one that was a good fit for me.  They are all a little different.  I found reviews on Amazon really helpful because people thought of things i didn't (like stability and noise).

My husband doesn't like it (he's 6 foot, and I'm 5 ft 4 inches).  He'd like a treadmill - hopefully we can add that to our collection this winter. 

I recommend you try out some equipment in a gym or stores to see what fits you. I chose an elliptical because it's easier on the joints, and I like the addition of resistance for my arms.

Sue Rock - Healthy Homes Rock!

Want Freedom?  www.FreedomForLife.info

Want Health? www.HealthyHomesRock.com

CoodasCorner
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM

At the gym I used to go to, there were several of each. I would always get on the treadmill, tried the elliptical a few times and the resistance kind of turned me away. I feel though that is what I need. The treadmill for me was like a cop out. I would set it up to where the speed and incline would change but I still would hardly break a sweat. Now when I would get on the elliptical, my heart rate would go up and the sweat would come as well. I can still do the treadmill, my husbands work has all sorts of equipment in the locker rooms but I wanted something I could do at home as well. I appreciate y'alls input!

proudmom424
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 11:54 AM

i go to the gym and use both but i tend to sweat more and burn more calories on the elliptical when i started out i could barely do 5 minutes on it but now i go for 30 mins and bout to start going longer! so i'd choose the elliptical!!

Natasha316
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I prefer the elliptical myself, although sometimes I want to change up an do alil walking the treadmill. In my opinion the treadmill is a lil more of a workout I definetly work up a sweat in less time than I would on the treadmill, plus its a smooth motion and not harsh on the joints

cdgoldilocks
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I have an elliptical and I love it.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

MommaReynolds
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I've always loved the elliptical when I go to the gym. Treadmills are harder on me I think. This is weird...but I've always found it easier to read a magazine when on the elliptical and I still get a good workout! Makes the time go by faster! Good luck in your decision though.

acounard
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM

elliptical!!

Nicole080984
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I have a treadmill, but personally WAY prefer the elliptical.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Photobucket

I am a formula feeding (by choice), never co-sleeping, tummy sleeping, vaccinating, sleeping in their own room, time-out, CIO and spanking (when need be) believer, pro-induction (with Epi, of course), pro-choice , tattooed and pierced (and yes my daughter’s ear’s are pierced too), needs to lose some weight mama.
erinemcgregor
by on Sep. 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM

For a while I only had an eliptical and lost a lot of weight with it but I finally bought a nice treadmill and I LOVE it. I feel like you have more variation on it then an eliptical so you will not get bored as fast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)