When I was in middle school, my church had a Wednesday night small
service and dinner. Several of the ladies made dinner on those Wednesday
nights. My latest nostalgia recipe search is Chicken a la King. This
recipe is great, but it differs from the one we had at church.
What you need:
- 1 lb. shredded chicken
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, thinly sliced (omitted, *gag*)
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- In a big pot, fill halfway with water and add chicken. Boil until cooked then let cool and shred. Keep the stock.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is transparent. Add a little stock and stir well.
- Add the rest of the veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Add bay leaf. Stir and add a little stock.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, adding stock as needed.
- Add shredded chicken and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add around 2 cups of heavy cream, lower heat and simmer until thickened.
- Remove bay leaf before serving over rice or pasta.