Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your Kids Names and Reactions You've Gotten

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 697 Total Views

I was wondering if anyone had named their children a name that is different and what the reaction was from family, friends or just strangers? 

Our girls all have pretty 'normal' names.  We have Sadie Marie, Hannah Marie and Abigail (Abby) Marie.  The big thing that makes them so different is that they all have the same middle name.  Most people think that's pretty cool.  Our last is Rebekah Christine.  Her middle name is my middle name.  It's fun that she is named after me, in a way.

Our 2 boys, however, have different names.  Our first DS is named Brigham James.  My parents and DH's parents hated his name.  Now they have grown to like it.  Then, in June of 2008, we had another boy.  We named him Moses Decker.  My parents and In-laws just about died.  My mom said he is going to grow up and hate us because we named him Moses.  I'll admit, it took me 3 months to stop calling him "Baby".  It wasn't my 1st choice (I wanted Zechariah), but it really fits him.  My Grandfather loves it.  He says, "I am old enough to be Moses's Great-Grandfather".  LOL!

Our families took about a year before they finally grew to like Moses's name.  My In-laws found out there is a Moses in their family tree, so that got them all excited about it.  My mother called one day and said that there was a boy (teenager) on the news.  He was working at the Salvation Army and found a briefcase that had thousands of dollars in it.  He turned it in, instead of keeping it.  She said his name was Moses!  Not only was he not an old man (how she always envisioned people named Moses) but he was a blond teen.  LOL!  She said that it must not be as uncommon as she thought, and now likes it.  LOL!  How funny that it took a news story and a family tree name for them to come around to his name.  :)

Do your children have unusual names?  What were the reactions you've gotten from them?

Welcoming our 6th baby, 3rd home birth and 1st unassisted birth on 2-10-10.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sweetfaces4
by Group Admin on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM

My oldest is Brooklyn elizabeth- I got the "you're naming her after a city?" thing but most ppl like it now if they don't they kust call her Brooke. Also got "poor kid" because it is kind of a long name.

Courtney michelle- pretty normal name and that's what my mom HATED about it. It wasn't my first choice or really even my last choice, but she was my SO's 1st girl (we each have a kid from previous marriages) so I let him have the name.

Kendra elise: My mom hated it... I got the "isn't that a playboy bunny's name" and from the ignorant ppl "won't ppl think she's a different race?" everyone has learned to like it. well.. almost everyone, my mom calls her Kenny which I hate.  everyone liked the middle name

My last baby is Sophia Grace- most ppl seemed to like it with only a few saying it's an old name. That is exactly what I liked about it. Then I noticed after she was born it was #4 on the most poular names for 2009 =(

kcangel63
by Group Owner on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Quoting sweetfaces4:

My oldest is Brooklyn elizabeth- I got the "you're naming her after a city?" thing but most ppl like it now if they don't they kust call her Brooke. Also got "poor kid" because it is kind of a long name.

Courtney michelle- pretty normal name and that's what my mom HATED about it. It wasn't my first choice or really even my last choice, but she was my SO's 1st girl (we each have a kid from previous marriages) so I let him have the name.

Kendra elise: My mom hated it... I got the "isn't that a playboy bunny's name" and from the ignorant ppl "won't ppl think she's a different race?" everyone has learned to like it. well.. almost everyone, my mom calls her Kenny which I hate.  everyone liked the middle name

My last baby is Sophia Grace- most ppl seemed to like it with only a few saying it's an old name. That is exactly what I liked about it. Then I noticed after she was born it was #4 on the most poular names for 2009 =(

Doesn't that just drive you nuts?!  We named our first daughter Sadie.  It's an old family name (my great grandmother).  I had NEVER known any Sadies.  Then, my DD had another Sadie in her Sunday school class in church.  LOL!

lalalabanana
by Group Admin on Jul. 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM

We decided to have my LO's middle name be Julian, to honor my deceased mother. My MIL threw a mini-tantrum about this on Thanksgiving while I was pregnant. It hurt my feelings a little bit, but I got over it. 

sweetfaces4
by Group Admin on Jul. 31, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Quoting lalalabanana:

We decided to have my LO's middle name be Julian, to honor my deceased mother. My MIL threw a mini-tantrum about this on Thanksgiving while I was pregnant. It hurt my feelings a little bit, but I got over it. 

Why would she throw a fit? I mean I understand that ppl throw fits for less, but it sounds like a wonderful/thoughtful idea, and besides it's a cute name.

kcangel63
by Group Owner on Jul. 31, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Quoting sweetfaces4:

Quoting lalalabanana:

Why would she throw a fit? I mean I understand that ppl throw fits for less, but it sounds like a wonderful/thoughtful idea, and besides it's a cute name.

I agree.  I think it's a beautiful name and a wonderful reason as a name choice.  :)

LuvMommysBabies
by on Apr. 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM
My son's name is Kingston Alexander. People asked why name my child after a city? But i've only known one Kingston and loved the name. My dad said that is way to long but i love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jombmomi
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2011 at 5:10 PM

My oldest is JuanCarlos and my mom went off on how I should give him an American name. I said there are very few American names other than things like Oneida and Potawatomi, the names she ment were English names. He was named after his dad Juan.

Nobody had much trouble with Olivia or MiguelAngel.

Some people ask why my 4th is named Orlando. I know it's a city but also a Spanish name that his dad picked out. Middle name went over pretty well as it is Francisco after his paternal grandpa and my maternal grandpa.

Now I'm having Jose Emmanuel Cruz. My mom once again doesn't like the name b/c of a guy she works with named Jose. His name will be Jose after this great grandpa who raised his dad. Cruz is for my late father and I just like Emmanuel. My sisters say that my kids names are too long, too bad. My kids I get to name them.

ma2b08
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

My oldest is Ivy Aeryn. Everyone calls her "Poison Ivy" and my mom always insists that she cant remember her middle name because she's mad about the spelling. My second is Georgia Faith and again, my mom is mad because she thinks Georgia is a "terrible name for a little girl". So she calls her "Peach" (as in Georgia Peach) which I used to hate, but am now getting used to. 

bchic24
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2015 at 5:13 AM
My son's name is Nicolai Demetri and everyone always says they like it. Though I get lots of comments on it sounding so Russian even though we have zero Russian in us lol. But both names are of Greek origin. And my daughter's name is Elena Lalani. We get comments accusing us of choosing it from vampire diaries because I have a friend with a slightly older son named Damon. We honestly didn't even think about it. I chose her first name sticking with the Greek theme and hubby picked the middle name out of thin air lol. We also get comments on her name being a mouth full. We still don't have a name picked out for this one yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)