Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crayon Apron

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

Crafts Project: A Crayon Apron

Crayon Apron

Here is a really neat little idea for the little artist in your life. An easy to make crayon apron. The crayons may not stay in the crayon pocker for too long, but the artist will still have an artist apron to help with little messes.

Crayon Apron 

Make Your Pattern

Below on the polaroid picture are the measurements to make the pattern for the apron. These are the measurements I used to make my sample apron. Adjust your pattern to fit the child that you are making the apron for. I laid the pattern out full size to make it easier to see. To print your pattern on paper it would be simpler to make it on the fold, just cut the numbers in half.

Crayon Apron Pattern Illustration 

The Materials You Will Require

I bought 20" of 60" wide fabric, which was plenty to make this crayon apron and the bias tape required to finish the apron.

You will require:

24" of 1.5" bias tape
2.75 - 3 yards of 2.25" bias tape

1 package of 8 crayons
or if you prefer
1 package of 8 jumbo crayons

To start, take your narrow bias tape and apply it to the top edge of the bib on your apron. Next apply it to the top edge of the crayon pocket and then sew on right side to finish.

Apply Crayon Pocket to Apron

Place crayon pocket on apron, and mark crayon slots. The slots are spaced at 1.25" this size slot will accommodate either a jumbo crayon or a regular crayon. Sew the slots starting from the bias tape to the bottom of the pocket, making sure to backstitch to secure the slots well. I used 8 slots, but you could use 10 or 12 slots.

With the apron wrong side facing up start to sew the binding on, starting at the side seam going around the bottom to the other side seam. Cut your bias. Iron your seam away from the apron and back onto the bias side.

On the right side sew the bias in place to finish.

To sew the bias around the arm hole, leave about 12" of bias for a tie around the back as well as at the top for the neck tie. Finish both sides this way. Again turn onto right side and sew binding to finish.

Finish The Tie Ends

To finish the tie ends stitch the bias closed from the apron to the end of the bias.

Close up of the crayon pocket. I have jumbo crayons in the pocket.

There are so many fabrics available be creative with them!
I hope you enjoy making this little crayon apron. Watch for more easy craft projects in the near future. 

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)