Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:55 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

1. Do you let your children listen to "American" music ( lady gaga, Kesha, Usher, the list goes on and on)

2. Do you let your children watch cartoons ( Jonas Brothers, I Carly, Hannah Montana, the list goes on and on)

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
syrianmommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

1. I use to play the radio while driving in the car, but I no longer do. I have Arabic CDs that are for kids or we have the Quran playing while driving. I dont think it is appropriate for kids to know the words of these songs that they play on the radio, ESPECIALLY when they are young.

2. I let my daughter watch Mickey Mouse, Oso, and the Disney Princess Movies. I dont let her watch the Disney Channel after 10AM because thats when they play all the "tween" shows and I dont think those are appropriatefor kids under 10 years of age. We bought my daughter alot of learning arabic and learning about Islam DVDs so she watches them, we also put a limit of TV time, she gets 1 hour in the morning for her cartoons she likes and she gets to watch 1 DVD in the evening but only if she was good and picked all her toys up.

sierra_617
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:16 AM

1. Do you let your children listen to "American" music ( lady gaga, Kesha, Usher, the list goes on and on)

I let her listen to the oldies/blues and jazz that I love to listen to ie  muddy water,coltrane, ella fitzgerald. I personally like the older stuff compared to the newer artist was never a fan of  a lot of artist because they just sample the oldstuff.

2. Do you let your children watch cartoons ( Jonas Brothers, I Carly, Hannah Montana, the list goes on and on)

I let my daughter watch age appropriate shows like yo gabba gabba,ni hao,dora,handy manny stuff that is good for a three year old. She enjoys them for that thirty minutes a day I let her watch tv.

AmmuJSE
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Question 1 : Yes, Well not what you listed but we listen to the radio, I listen to alternative (coldplay, weezer, travis, modest mouse...) If we are not listening to that, We have kids cds on (clifford the big red dog, between the lions *from chickfila*, kids songs.) I don't think that Music is Haram as some do. Pretty much my beliefs go with this... http://www.themodernreligion.com/misc/hh/music.html

Questions 2: They watch shows that are appropriate for their age. I have a 6yr old, 4 yr old & 20 month old. My TV is usually on sprout TV when the younger 2 are in the room or on PBS. Playhouse disney in the morning. If it's just my older boy, he usually has it on the science channel or animal planet. He can watch the science channel all day (he loves how it's made)

RissaBusch
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM

1. No.  I listen to classical around Danica.  I'm a sucker for classical music.  I'm a pianist and could listen to it all day long.  I listen to more western music through my ipod usually in the car it's classical.  It seems to keep Danica happier.  Especially when I play songs that I also play on piano.

2.  She watches age appropriate shows like Yo Gabba Gabba, Oliva, and Dora.  I saw an episode of Icarly where the girl was being black mailed into kissing someone she really didn't want to.  I don't think that's a good lesson for our children to be learning.  So as she gets older, I'll probably be careful with TV.

wife2ali
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:46 PM

1. No. We don't believe in music.  No nasheeds either really as most of them contain music.  I'm going to get Al Qur'an on CD and play that.    Read the book Muharramat Forbidden Matters Some People Take Lightly, you'll find the hadith on music in there.

2. Ummmm nothing on Disney. Arabic cartoons and Islamic cartoons/Islamic documentaries yes. 

Bruce1
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

We don't listen to any music...well that is not entirely true.  My childern watch cartoons (Dora, Blues Clues, PBS cartoons) I did let them watch Yo Gabba Gabba for a few months..that show has good lessons on manners and things but DJ Lance Rock is not who I want my young boys looking at as a male role model...at all!!!!  So they no longer watch that.  They did watch Fresh Beat Band but that is nothing but music so they don't watch that either and I tell them it's way too much music and dancing and we don't do that and they move on to the next thing.  My boys will be 3 and 2 in November so I want to change the bad infuences I let them have before it is too late, insha Allah.  May Allah protect them from the evils of themselves and the evils of this world.  Ameen

heatkab2
by on Sep. 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM

We listen to some music but I am picky about it.

My 2 year old watches PBS (Word World, Martha Speaks, Curious George etc)in the states (we have a super basic cable no disney channel or anything) and here in Tunisia we have Arabic satellite and sometimes I let him watch SpaceToons... which is basically Japanimation and American cartoons (scooby doo, tom and jerry) dubbed into Arabic. Arthur and Barney come on channel Ajial in Arabic though, I prefer he watches them over the other cartoons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)