Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Putting a hijab on children lower then fifteen.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:58 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 551 Total Views

How do you feel about putting hijab on a girl lower then fifteen or even before the child is a teenager. I have seen it done before and for me I wasn't feeling it. I think its growing a child up to fast and making her a women before she has even hit puberty. I have a daughter personally and unless she does it herself before puberty. I will not ask her to put it on until she has either hit puberty or turns fifteen.

What are your thoughts

Your only given one life so do everything to with it and don't regret anything. Never look at things as a mistake but a lesson learned.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
salamaat
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I started wearing hijab at age 9. I reached puberty around 12. I think it is important for girls to practice wearing hijab and as parents we have to get them ready slowly. It's hard to go from zero to hijab. If we gradually help them dress more modestly from a young age it's easier. Also, if a girl starts to develop breasts she should start covering. It doesn't have to be when she gets her period. Our family rule has been 10. As each of my sisters turned 10, they started wearing hijab. Also we started wearing it in front of boys ages 10 and up. Allah knows best! :)

wife2ali
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:48 AM

I gotta ask Ali what is done in his culture/in his family because I'm not sure. I know his nieces wear niqab though once they get to middle school I believe.  (He has four nieces who are still under puberty, I think they are in low elementary).  Since we are raising our children in Saudi culture (Ali's culture) and I am trying to behave like a Saudi girl, I want to make sure our children are raised in Saudi culture in America.  Now personally: I think it is best to start having girls wear hijab from a young age like around 4 because then they won't argue with you about it if they are used to wearing it from a young age.  That is my opinion anyway.  I was thinking of making our daughters wear hijab from the time they are 2.  I've seen pictures of Muslim girls wearing hijab as babies and I think it looks cute. 

AmmuJSE
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I see little girls at the masjid wear hijab and they are SOOOOOOOOO ADORABLE. there is a little Somali girl I want to take home (she's 3ish). BUT they only wear them in the masjid. once they are outside they take it off. which I think is good since they are so young. Wear it for prayers, Wear it at Islamic functions but still be little girls, they have a whole lifetime ahead to wear Hijab. Once they are around 9-10 they keep it on....which is fine. it should be their choice.

My friends little girl is 12 and has worn Hijab since she was 8. Totally her choice and she even stopped wearing it for about 6-7 months when she was 9 because of all the harassment she got at school but the next school year she put it back on and hasn't taken it off since. 

I was not blessed with daughters, so I really won't have to face this. 

BUT If I did have a girl, I would let her wear it if she wants and then once she started puberty, I would let her know that now is the time that she should wear it. I wouldn't force her because it's her choice and it has to come from her intentions. Just because I say to wear it, I wear one myself doesn't mean that will be the right intention for my daughter...... 

RissaBusch
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Danica likes to wear her "hat."  She's only 2.  To her there's nothing religious about it.  It's her copying me.  I guess it's not much different than little girls that want to carry a purse because mommy does.  I think it's hilarious and cute.

But, I think it's good to introduce them to hijab before puberty.  I mean, they start praying before puberty and don't they have to wear hijab during prayer? 

I think a lot of it has to do with the maturity of the child.

I still think it's kinda cute on Dani though

RissaBusch
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Ahahahahahaha! Oh it's just so cute!  It just makes me giggle!  She's adorable!

Quoting syrianmommy:

Masha Allah, Dani is so cute! This is my daughter in hijab! This was taken last Ramadan!!

Quoting RissaBusch:

Danica likes to wear her "hat."  She's only 2.  To her there's nothing religious about it.  It's her copying me.  I guess it's not much different than little girls that want to carry a purse because mommy does.  I think it's hilarious and cute.

But, I think it's good to introduce them to hijab before puberty.  I mean, they start praying before puberty and don't they have to wear hijab during prayer? 

I think a lot of it has to do with the maturity of the child.

I still think it's kinda cute on Dani though

ProudMuslimMa2B
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM

You are supposed to train your children on the right track of things before it becomes compulsary on them, so they have knowledge of what is right and wrong and know how to do what becomes compulsary. Such as seperating boy and girl children (from sleeping with eachother) after they reach an age where they are aware of the differences of gender, letting your child practice fasting before puberty, letting your girls practice hijab before puberty (and I believe they would need to cover anyway if they were practicing praying or reading quran), etc. Not giving them any practice and then one day telling them it is compulsary on them to do it gives them no advantage, while letting them practice and grow in their religion, become aware of what will be required of them, before it is required will make the transition much easier.

I plan on training my children before puberty so it will be easier for them to become responsible adults, when they become accountable for their actions. And age is just a number, people go through puberty at many ages (me being 9), so waiting until highschool age isn't appropriate for everyone.

Insha Allah.

sierra_617
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM

which is why you lead by example. My daughter has put a hijab on by herself but not once put it on leaves my lips and no matter how much you "train" a child they will do what makes them feel comfortable. I don't plan to all of a sudden go hey put this  on but I won't train her to do it because she isn't a dog she is a person with free will.I lead by example if she see's mom going to prayer or outside covered and she knows the reason behind it and accepts it in her heart then Mashallah. The  Hijab goes on and for her it wasn't something i shoved down her throat it was something she accepted for herself may that be at seven when she is supposed to be praying or whenever her menstrual cycle begins to start but as a mother I show her by example and Insha Allah she feels the same way I do about hijab and Islam.

Quoting ProudMuslimMa2B:

You are supposed to train your children on the right track of things before it becomes compulsary on them, so they have knowledge of what is right and wrong and know how to do what becomes compulsary. Such as seperating boy and girl children (from sleeping with eachother) after they reach an age where they are aware of the differences of gender, letting your child practice fasting before puberty, letting your girls practice hijab before puberty (and I believe they would need to cover anyway if they were practicing praying or reading quran), etc. Not giving them any practice and then one day telling them it is compulsary on them to do it gives them no advantage, while letting them practice and grow in their religion, become aware of what will be required of them, before it is required will make the transition much easier.

I plan on training my children before puberty so it will be easier for them to become responsible adults, when they become accountable for their actions. And age is just a number, people go through puberty at many ages (me being 9), so waiting until highschool age isn't appropriate for everyone.

Insha Allah.

Even after all this time the sun never says to the earth "you owe me." Look what happens with a love like that: It lights up the whole skye -Hafiz

ProudMuslimMa2B
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Training your children does not make them like dogs, you have to train your children on how to use the washroom correctly, and to brush their teeth correctly, YOU may not tell them they have to wear hijab after a certain time, but it IS compulsary for muslim women to wear hijab (as it is in Quran and Sunnah), and letting her voluntarily take it for granted and not wear when it becomes compulsary is letting her disobey an order from Allah(swt), like letting her voluntarily NOT pray once it becomes compulsary, or letting her voluntarily NOT fast once it becomes compulsary - letting your children make mistakes when they become accountable for their actions is not the best, and you are responsible for making sure your children grow upright and not make mistakes. 

And yes, you do lead by example as well. I would not tell my child to do something I myself don't do.

sierra_617
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I don't train my daughter to do anything. I show her how to do things because training to me sounds like something you do to a dog not a human child.You are correct it is Quran and Sunnah to cover and she will know why she has to but I would never make her put on hijab why because there is no complusion in religion. I will show her the proofs and evidence on why she should wear it and what she does is up to her because on Judgement day she stand alone as do I. It's one thing if I don't tell her and she doesn't know but if she knows and refuses then there is nothing I can do. That to me is between her and Allah*swt* and no one else

I would make sure as long as she lived with me she dressed modestly and as a child of three she does but to me putting a hijab on a child is  not something I would do. I don't think thats wrong parenting because she is THREE. I feel I am raising my daughter to love Islam and leading by example letting her watch me pray learning the prayer for herself and understand to me there are more important things I want to instill in her then putting the hijab on especially at this age.

Quoting ProudMuslimMa2B:

Training your children does not make them like dogs, you have to train your children on how to use the washroom correctly, and to brush their teeth correctly, YOU may not tell them they have to wear hijab after a certain time, but it IS compulsary for muslim women to wear hijab (as it is in Quran and Sunnah), and letting her voluntarily take it for granted and not wear when it becomes compulsary is letting her disobey an order from Allah(swt), like letting her voluntarily NOT pray once it becomes compulsary, or letting her voluntarily NOT fast once it becomes compulsary - letting your children make mistakes when they become accountable for their actions is not the best, and you are responsible for making sure your children grow upright and not make mistakes. 

And yes, you do lead by example as well. I would not tell my child to do something I myself don't do.

Your only given one life so do everything to with it and don't regret anything. Never look at things as a mistake but a lesson learned.

sierra_617
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM

which is why you explain.Just because you "train" a child to do something doesn't mean they are always going to do it either

Quoting syrianmommy:

I think that by training she means teach.You teach your child to use the washroom, you teach your child to talk and feed themselves and you teach them about the religion you are. If you dont teach them they will not know. Just because your children see you do something doesnt mean that they understand WHY and that they should be doing the same thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)