• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

snubbed for being poor

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 290 Total Views

My family was snubbed in public & in private because we couldn't afford to buy halal beef. Yet these same ppl eat meat that is not halal & they consider it ok. When we get our house they are expecting us to throw a bbq party & invite them & of course since the meat won't be halal they will probably snub us at our own party that we threw on there request. Hopefully this won't happen again. How should I deal w/ this if they do this again?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
LivingIslam
by on May. 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM

On the one hand many of your friends don't always eat halal meat on the other hand they don't want everyone to know it.  It's because they are ashamed.  After all, Islam talks about the severity of open sins.  If we sin we are supposed to hide it and change it.  You may not be able to afford halal meat but that does not excuse them for an open sin.  My recommendation to you is that you serve what you can afford.  Maybe you should invite them for tea and cookies.  It's my experience that some cultures seem to want the big meals that are kabob and curry dishes and this is the popular thing.  I'm American and in my culture it's popular to meet for coffee and desert. 

AmmuJSE
by on May. 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM

This. Or make it a very american thing and have a potluck!

If you can't afford halal meat for all of them, buy a small amount, make a dish and have everyone else do the same. 

Halal meat is expensive in some parts of the country (I live in Utah, we have to drive 45 minutes for Halal meat & the price is not worth it but we do because we have a few friends that only eat halal. if we don't have halal meat, we cook fish).

I'm sorry they did that to you. If you lived by me, I would just be happy for the invite, not what was or wasn't on the table!

Quoting LivingIslam:

On the one hand many of your friends don't always eat halal meat on the other hand they don't want everyone to know it.  It's because they are ashamed.  After all, Islam talks about the severity of open sins.  If we sin we are supposed to hide it and change it.  You may not be able to afford halal meat but that does not excuse them for an open sin.  My recommendation to you is that you serve what you can afford.  Maybe you should invite them for tea and cookies.  It's my experience that some cultures seem to want the big meals that are kabob and curry dishes and this is the popular thing.  I'm American and in my culture it's popular to meet for coffee and desert. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)