Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you follow a madhab?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM
  • 39 Replies
  • 1684 Total Views

Poll

Question: What madhab do you follow?

Options:

Sunni- Hanafi

Sunni- Hanbali

Sunni- Maliki

Sunni- Shafi'i

Shia- Ja'Fari

Shia- Zaydi

Salafi (not sure if this is considered a madhab though?

Other

None

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

Do you follow a madhab? I've only recently started really researching them so I'm really not very knowledgeable. Which one do you follow, and what did you learn that led you to follow a specific madhab? If you don't, is there any particular reason why?

I threw in a poll, just because I've never actually used the poll feature before and I wanted to :p LOL

"Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clearly from error; whoever rejects evil and has faith in God has grasped the most trustworthy, unfailing handhold. And God hears and knows all things. God is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He will lead them forth into light." [Quran 2:256-257]

by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I tend to favor the Hanafi madhab but I just consider myself a Muslim.

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM

The madhabs aren't considered different sects right? Just different ways scholars look at different issues?

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Salafi refer to their fiqh as a "manhaj".

You might be interested in thoughts on "kalam" as well. It's some pretty deep stuff though.

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

The madhabs aren't considered different sects right? Just different ways scholars look at different issues?

Different schools of law. Not sects, but different methods used to come to their judicial rulings and what those judicial rulings tend to be.

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:53 PM

What is the difference between a manhaj and a madhab? I googled it, but that didn't help much LOL.

Ty... I'm reading about 'kalam' on wiki right now :)

MillieJ
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I'm Shia, but don't really say i'm jafari or zaydi...I'm just Shia :-)

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

What is the difference between a manhaj and a madhab? I googled it, but that didn't help much LOL.

Manhaj means "path". Salafi do not believe in following a particular madhab.

Muslim is the best name for any of us. :)

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Quoting MillieJ:

How did you decide on shia?

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Quoting MillieJ:

Oh neat :) I don't know much about Shia... I'm Sunni I suppose but just recently discovered that there were different madhabs within this... branch? Is that the right word? LOL. I think you are the first Shia I've 'met'... I'm pretty sure I saw someone somewhere say they were Ismaili- which I accidently left out of the poll, I meant to include it since I know there is at least one sister here who follows it- I just can't remember where I saw someone say that at LOL.

"Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clearly from error; whoever rejects evil and has faith in God has grasped the most trustworthy, unfailing handhold. And God hears and knows all things. God is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He will lead them forth into light." [Quran 2:256-257]

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Manhaj means "path". Salafi do not believe in following a particular madhab.

Muslim is the best name for any of us. :)

Ahh I see :) Thank you! Muslim is the best name... really that's all I say when anyone asks, but like I said I only recently discovered there was actual schools of thought and whatnot and it sparked my curiousity LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)