Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you follow a madhab?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What madhab do you follow?

Options:

Sunni- Hanafi

Sunni- Hanbali

Sunni- Maliki

Sunni- Shafi'i

Shia- Ja'Fari

Shia- Zaydi

Salafi (not sure if this is considered a madhab though?

Other

None

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

Do you follow a madhab? I've only recently started really researching them so I'm really not very knowledgeable. Which one do you follow, and what did you learn that led you to follow a specific madhab? If you don't, is there any particular reason why?

I threw in a poll, just because I've never actually used the poll feature before and I wanted to :p LOL

"Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clearly from error; whoever rejects evil and has faith in God has grasped the most trustworthy, unfailing handhold. And God hears and knows all things. God is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He will lead them forth into light." [Quran 2:256-257]

by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM
Replies (31-39):
HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Quoting sierra_617:

The one madhab I did like was Maliki for me it was something I could follow and it was kind of funny to find out from a sister from egypt that it was followed in north africa and west africa. I was taking a fiqh class and I was introduced to madhabs to me I liked Maliki the most.

My hubs is more geared toward the Maliki madhab being from Tunisia. Our differences, though minor, keep things interesting, lol.

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM
LOL... What are some of the differences?

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting sierra_617:

The one madhab I did like was Maliki for me it was something I could follow and it was kind of funny to find out from a sister from egypt that it was followed in north africa and west africa. I was taking a fiqh class and I was introduced to madhabs to me I liked Maliki the most.

My hubs is more geared toward the Maliki madhab being from Tunisia. Our differences, though minor, keep things interesting, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:54 PM

In regards to the way decisions are made, all Muslims first go with quran then sunnah. Hanafi next go with consensus of the scholars, then logic/rational reasoning. Maliki include the rulings of the Caliphs, logic AND local customs along with specifically the historical customs of the people of Madina.

But the things we debate are eating seafood, where to look while praying, stuff like that... nothing major. :)

Jasminemomof3
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting MillieJ:

I'm Shia, but don't really say i'm jafari or zaydi...I'm just Shia :-)

Oh neat :) I don't know much about Shia... I'm Sunni I suppose but just recently discovered that there were different madhabs within this... branch? Is that the right word? LOL. I think you are the first Shia I've 'met'... I'm pretty sure I saw someone somewhere say they were Ismaili- which I accidently left out of the poll, I meant to include it since I know there is at least one sister here who follows it- I just can't remember where I saw someone say that at LOL.

I think you were referring about me...big smile mini I think im the only ismaili...im the odd ball out! :)

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Quoting Jasminemomof3:

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting MillieJ:

Oh neat :) I don't know much about Shia... I'm Sunni I suppose but just recently discovered that there were different madhabs within this... branch? Is that the right word? LOL. I think you are the first Shia I've 'met'... I'm pretty sure I saw someone somewhere say they were Ismaili- which I accidently left out of the poll, I meant to include it since I know there is at least one sister here who follows it- I just can't remember where I saw someone say that at LOL.

I think you were referring about me...big smile mini I think im the only ismaili...im the odd ball out! :)

LOL... Yes it was you!! You are a revert right? What drew you to Ismaili?

"Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clearly from error; whoever rejects evil and has faith in God has grasped the most trustworthy, unfailing handhold. And God hears and knows all things. God is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He will lead them forth into light." [Quran 2:256-257]

Jasminemomof3
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting Jasminemomof3:

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting MillieJ:

LOL... Yes it was you!! You are a revert right? What drew you to Ismaili?

yes I am, the only way to revert to become an ismaili is: if you are seriously being with someone or getting married, for us we follow an actual descendent of the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) that is alive, well I know he goes by two names, maunala something something! lol but I do know he is also called his royal highness Karim Aga Khan the fourth :) and I literally almost forgot to put why I reverted, well you can say my BF told me some things about what he does and I kept reading and READING and plus they have philatrophies(sp) so that drew me more! :) I told my BF I wanted to revert, for Allah and not for him, and still to this day, still happiest day of my life. :) (sorry for going on!)

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Ah ok :-) so you either have to marry into the Ismaili sect or be born into it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jasminemomof3
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Ah ok :-) so you either have to marry into the Ismaili sect or be born into it?

exactly...now the guy im with needs to hurry up with the wedding date already! lol

pandamommy22
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I don't know much about any of these things, but I am very much trying to learn!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)