Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you follow a madhab?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What madhab do you follow?

Options:

Sunni- Hanafi

Sunni- Hanbali

Sunni- Maliki

Sunni- Shafi'i

Shia- Ja'Fari

Shia- Zaydi

Salafi (not sure if this is considered a madhab though?

Other

None

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

Do you follow a madhab? I've only recently started really researching them so I'm really not very knowledgeable. Which one do you follow, and what did you learn that led you to follow a specific madhab? If you don't, is there any particular reason why?

I threw in a poll, just because I've never actually used the poll feature before and I wanted to :p LOL

"Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clearly from error; whoever rejects evil and has faith in God has grasped the most trustworthy, unfailing handhold. And God hears and knows all things. God is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He will lead them forth into light." [Quran 2:256-257]

by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Quoting AmmuJSE:

I know i'm such a downer when we talk about this..... I just loathe that masjid. I wish I didn't attend it or that they would change. 

I just have so many bad feelings that I dread when I have to go there. I love the SLC masjids.....totally opposite feeling. 

Do you think there's anything you could do to change it? There ARE issues I have with my masjid but really... I'm at a loss as to what I could do to change it. I don't know that they would listen to me.

"Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clearly from error; whoever rejects evil and has faith in God has grasped the most trustworthy, unfailing handhold. And God hears and knows all things. God is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He will lead them forth into light." [Quran 2:256-257]

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Quoting MillieJ:

Correction... Bukhari is still someone a lot of Shias will listen to :-), I would try and research these yourself rather than hear the two sides bickering on what's what. This is a really good read, it's rather long, but it's a good explanation on Shia Islam. http://www.al-islam.org/shiism/

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting MillieJ:

I'm Shia, but don't really say i'm jafari or zaydi...I'm just Shia :-)

Oh neat :) I don't know much about Shia... I'm Sunni I suppose but just recently discovered that there were different madhabs within this... branch? Is that the right word? LOL. I think you are the first Shia I've 'met'... I'm pretty sure I saw someone somewhere say they were Ismaili- which I accidently left out of the poll, I meant to include it since I know there is at least one sister here who follows it- I just can't remember where I saw someone say that at LOL.

If you accept the hadith collections of Tirmidhi, Muslim, Bukhari as valid you are "Sunni".

Shia have different accepted collections of hadith.

Please don't assume I am uneducated in this respect.

Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are considered the most authentic narrations of hadith according to Sunni Islam. There are 6 collections altogether for Sunni others include Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud.

Shia primarily utilize 4 books by the three Muhammeds.

Shiites do NOT consider Sahih Bukhari to actually be "sahih" and do not accept several of the sahaba who are regularly recorded as contributors in the sanad of his collection for example Aisha, Abu Bakr, Uthman, Umar and Abu Huraiyah.

There are quite a few differences between Shia and Sunni and this is one of them.

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Quoting AmmuJSE:

I know i'm such a downer when we talk about this..... I just loathe that masjid. I wish I didn't attend it or that they would change. 

I just have so many bad feelings that I dread when I have to go there. I love the SLC masjids.....totally opposite feeling. 

Come to Michigan!

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Come to Michigan!

Or Alabama!! LOL.

Actually, DH and I are hoping to move one day inshaAllah. Dearborn area is on our list... but so is SLC actually.

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Come to Michigan!

Or Alabama!! LOL.

Actually, DH and I are hoping to move one day inshaAllah. Dearborn area is on our list... but so is SLC actually.

There is an Air National Guard base not too far from the area. My BIL works there...

sierra_617
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

The one madhab I did like was Maliki for me it was something I could follow and it was kind of funny to find out from a sister from egypt that it was followed in north africa and west africa. I was taking a fiqh class and I was introduced to madhabs to me I liked Maliki the most.

MillieJ
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Never said you were uneducated :-( the link was for the OP... Sorry if I offended you

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting MillieJ:

Correction... Bukhari is still someone a lot of Shias will listen to :-), I would try and research these yourself rather than hear the two sides bickering on what's what. This is a really good read, it's rather long, but it's a good explanation on Shia Islam. http://www.al-islam.org/shiism/

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting MillieJ:

Oh neat :) I don't know much about Shia... I'm Sunni I suppose but just recently discovered that there were different madhabs within this... branch? Is that the right word? LOL. I think you are the first Shia I've 'met'... I'm pretty sure I saw someone somewhere say they were Ismaili- which I accidently left out of the poll, I meant to include it since I know there is at least one sister here who follows it- I just can't remember where I saw someone say that at LOL.

If you accept the hadith collections of Tirmidhi, Muslim, Bukhari as valid you are "Sunni".

Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are considered the most authentic narrations of hadith according to Sunni Islam. There are 6 collections altogether for Sunni others include Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud.

Shiites do NOT consider Sahih Bukhari to actually be "sahih" and do not accept several of the sahaba who are regularly recorded as contributors in the sanad of his collection for example Aisha, Abu Bakr, Uthman, Umar and Abu Huraiyah.

There are quite a few differences between Shia and Sunni and this is one of them.

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Quoting MillieJ:

Never said you were uneducated :-( the link was for the OP... Sorry if I offended you

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting MillieJ:

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting MillieJ:

No offense taken at all :)

I was trying to explain these are the 100% accepted collections of hadith in "Sunni" Islam.

I myself spent a lot of time learning about the Islam from a lot of different perspectives before I converted... I am technically "Sunni" but the idea to read the Quran came about when I was on a date with a not practicing Shia guy, years ago. He was a really nice guy too. If I hadn't been inspired to read the Quran, I would have probably went on a second date with him, lol.

LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Oh really? DH is Army national guard... He wishes he could have gone Air Force actually but with his weight they won't even consider him. Bc of his build he has to be taped instead of weighed but I guess they just don't want to mess with it.

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting LillyJDv2.0:

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Come to Michigan!

Or Alabama!! LOL.

There is an Air National Guard base not too far from the area. My BIL works there...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LillyJDv2.0
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM
Millie- JAK for that link by the way, I bookmarked it! I'll read it in more depth when I get home... Just got to work so in about fifteen minutes I gotta get off my phone and clock in... I hate working Saturday nights. I miss the Saturday lunch shifts I used to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)