Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Walkable is your neighboorhood? EDIT plus a link to get a score of your neighborhood

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 380 Total Views

Ok alhumdulillah I have more than enough time to myself today. I'd like to buy groceries but I am pretty sure the stores are all closed, plus I don't have a car so I'd have to borrow my neighbors wagon and wake my husband up so he could pull it. (I have a bad shoulder.)

FOOD Alhumdulillah though because I live with in 1 mile of at least 4 small groceries. And a baker. They are all Mexican markets so I can't get all the stuff I would buy at a larger national chain but I can get mutton and goat. The produce is cheaper that at American chain stores because it is usually a little older. Thats fine by me. Cheaper is still cheaper.

Bakery They baker is a Scandinavian place. The owner that opened the store was 4th? generation baker. They have bread and even better doughnuts. Too bad they are closed today LOL a doughnut sounds good and I am out of bread. They have these wooden cut outs and press dough into them to make cookies. I haven't tried them yet because they seem kind of boring other than they are shaped like stuff. Windmills, people etc.

Salon The other morning I walked over to get a hair cut. Because of the store being in the middle of a residential area on the corner of a side street and a run of the mill residential street it was private. I spent $15, more than I normally would but then I just had to walk a couple of blocks over and I wasn't worried about a man walking in.

Goods There is a Family Dollar close by as well but they're stuff is such junk I'd rather wait until I can get a ride to a Walmart or my husband gets a chance to go to Kmart since he works right by one.  There is a vacuum shop just over a mile from home and an RV/Camping store about a block closer. I think I might need to do more research into places to get my stuff stuff. lol We don't buy a lot, just soaps and detergents mostly. The Mexican groceries have soaps but they tend to be way way over priced.

Restaurants Its a good thing we like Mexican food LOL. The Groceries usually have a restaurant in them or on the same property. There's a great coffee shop tucked away just off of a main street in the middle of a residential block. If we go down hill about a mile and a half there is a bunch a wonderful restaurants in the historic down town of our very small city. But what stops me from going usually is the walk back.The hill is very steep.

Entertainment There are many many parks. We live, according to google maps an 8 minute walk, just a block or 2 away from a park. Ok a homeless guy died there late last spring and that was a bit unnerving to walk past as his hair and arm were sticking out from the white sheet the police had put over him. If we go near the restaurants I mentioned to about 2 miles from home there is a cinema, rock climbing place, sky diving simulator (giant fan blows you up off the ground) a Golds Gym, a surfing simulator and arcade. In addition to being too far for a walk on a whim its pricey.

Education We homeschool so I am not sure of all the school but a very large high school is 4 blocks up hill. The local University is more than 2 miles away. The closest elementary, not the one my son would attend BTW, is about half a mile away. The main branch of the library is about 1 mile away. Sometimes we walk to the bakery when jot on over to the library then the grocery on the way back.

How about you? How is your neighborhood? Can you meet all your basic needs in a short walk?

EDIT Check this out http://www.walkscore.com/ It grades your neighborhood

by on Dec. 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jasminemomof3
by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I kinda feel ya on the mexican area lol...

Food: I have like 2 big markets like 5 or 6 blks apart and an small corner store like 3 mins away? 

Bakery: There is at least two within walking distance from my home :)

Salon..There is at least 4 in walking distance lol

Goods: I got an kmart 2 blks away from me.. :)

Restaurants: same with you on the mexican restaurants lol there is alot of them here in the city :)

Entertainment: There is a park like 7 blks away, when we walk in the summer..Red box for entertainment? lol

Education: There is a school like 3 blks away from me, but my kids go to different schools for their development abilties and they get bused to school.

ummcarter
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Quoting Jasminemomof3:

Entertainment: There is a park like 7 blks away, when we walk in the summer..Red box for entertainment? lol

I forgot about red box, I just look up movies on the web to watch but I think there is 2 or 3 all about 2 miles away.

Yesterday I just couldn't work up the nerve to walk anywhere. It was below freezing. LOL Good thing i don't live in the Andes or Himalayas or somewhere LOL. I am a warm weather person. If we had a car I would totally get my shopping done.

muslimahpj
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

There is nothing within walking distance here. There arent even any sidewalks to use if there was. :/

Jasminemomof3
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

ouch sis :(

Quoting muslimahpj:

There is nothing within walking distance here. There arent even any sidewalks to use if there was. :/

ummcarter
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Quoting muslimahpj:

unlike
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN