Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas to help wake her up-PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

My preschooler is NOT a morning person.  I'm not either so I give her a break.  She is also very strong willed and mornings are a constant battle.  I have tried explaining, bribing, cajoling, yelling, charts, alarms etc to get her to get up and get dressed.  Virtually every morning is a battle to get her dressed.  My routine is I kiss her and rub her and tell her it's time to wake up and I turn the light on.,  I set her time for 10 minutes and then I go start getting ready in the bathroom (next to her room) and then I keep talking to her saying this is how much time you have left and she will whine and complain but ask if I'm done yet.  If she's not done, or close enough to being done by the time I'm done then she doesn't get to wake up her sister.  And if she doesn't get to wake her sister up, then according to her I've ruined her day.  Yes she's a drama princess too.  All in all she has about 20-25 minutes to wake up and get dressed. 

So any other ideas on how to get her stumbling on the right path in the morning?  I do realize that she's 3 and some clothes are trickier then others.  I don't expect perfection but I do expect effort.  Thanks mama's.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momcat437
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Hm...seems to me that three is still pretty young to expect her to get up and dressed all by herself--how about if you get dressed with her?  Maybe lay out her clothes and yours, then you both, say, put on your blouse together, then put on your pants, or whatever--it's been a long time since my kids were that little...just a suggestion!  Hope things get better soon! : )

onix
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Thanks.  She can pretty much get dressed by herself, except for some items that she has issues with.  But I don't give her a hard time for what she can't do.  And of course this morning she was awake by the time I can down so no problems.  It only took me 20+ years to stop being like this, here's hoping it takes her less time.

sparklebug86
by Group Owner on Mar. 4, 2011 at 9:03 AM

How about waking her up a little earlier? There have actually been studys that show that young children are more active earlier in the morning and their day progresses better if they start earlier. Thats why elementary age children go to school earlier in the morning than the highschool kids.

sparklebug86
by Group Owner on Mar. 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I wasnt a morning person either when I met my husband and after a few times of waking up in a bad mood he pointed out to me that being grumpy when you wake up is not normal. Now, of course it is normal for many people but I think that was his suttle way of telling me he didnt like it, so I stopped. I still have my mornings but way less than I did before.

Quoting onix:

Thanks.  She can pretty much get dressed by herself, except for some items that she has issues with.  But I don't give her a hard time for what she can't do.  And of course this morning she was awake by the time I can down so no problems.  It only took me 20+ years to stop being like this, here's hoping it takes her less time.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
onix
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I don't think she and I could handle each other if we woke up together that early in the morning.  Lol.  She & I aren't morning people, her dad is ok, but the baby is a ball of sunshine.   When we can wake up on our own we are ok.  I think this weekend I might let her pick out her own alarm clock and see how she does waking up to music.  Music makes her happy so if I put bagpipes on she will be estatic.

cowgirlmama
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Um well on days she doesn't get up for school, how long does she normally sleep? For example if you put her to bed at 9, and she doesn't have to get up for anything and she sleeps till 10 the next morning. Then you now she needs 13 hours of sleep. I know that seems like alot but to a 3 year old that isn't unusual. So If she has to get up at 7 then really she would need to go to bed at like 6-7 the night before. I know your thinking. WOW that is crazy early!! And it does seem that way. But if you want a happy toddler in the morning. It works! Get some very dark curtins for her room, or put a dark shade that you can pull down.

that's just my advice. works for my son. makes him alot happier, and has alot better days when he gets alot of sleep.

alexluck
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM

GIRL i have the same problem, my son hates waking up for school, I don't know what advice to give you:( Also my boy is 3 so I think it's really tough on them to wake up in the am to get ready for anything

onix
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Quoting cowgirlmama:

Um well on days she doesn't get up for school, how long does she normally sleep? For example if you put her to bed at 9, and she doesn't have to get up for anything and she sleeps till 10 the next morning. Then you now she needs 13 hours of sleep. I know that seems like alot but to a 3 year old that isn't unusual. So If she has to get up at 7 then really she would need to go to bed at like 6-7 the night before. I know your thinking. WOW that is crazy early!! And it does seem that way. But if you want a happy toddler in the morning. It works! Get some very dark curtins for her room, or put a dark shade that you can pull down.

that's just my advice. works for my son. makes him alot happier, and has alot better days when he gets alot of sleep.

Even on the days that can sleep in, she may only sleep 15-30 minutes later in the mornings.  And she can sleep through anything.  We had a fire down the street and between the trucks, ambulances and the fire marshall parking his truck with the lights shining into her room, the girl slept through it all.  Wish I could have.  I found an alarm clock that I gonna try for her. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)