• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for those married to unbelievers

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 549 Total Views

Hubby and I try to keep our home neutral when it comes to holidays and religion.  He doesn't like being told what he has to do or how to live his life and he thinks that religion tries to do that.  He is not opposed to me taking the girls to the meetings and conventions, and I'm getting back to going out in the ministry.  There are things about being a Witness that he can see is beneficial to the girls and he doesn't mind maybe using the BSB to describe events and things.  But to actively teach them in our home is something that he will not tolerate.  Now I'm fortunate that I have 2 aunts that watch the girls and they and their families are in the truth (1 is a pioneer in the Russian Cong so the girls are learning Russian) so they are getting taught over there.  But it's my job to study with them.  I try to do it when it's just us and right now the girls are too young, 4 and 19mo, to have a formal study.  Also the 4 YO would tell daddy that we had a study or was reading such and such book.  I don't want to be sneaky, but that's the only way I can think of how to really teach them.

Do you ladies have any ideas on how I can slip in teaching them without a formal study?  Any ideas are sincerely appreciated.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dlneal
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I would say try to teach them things by asking them questions in the car or if you see something in nature, tell them about how Jah created things. I find little things in life can make great opportunites to teach my kids. Such as when you see a rainbow. Tell them the story of Noah's ark and how the rainbow came about. This works very well for us. Since my husband wants my kids to be raised in the truth, I try to do this while he is in earshot to get him into the conversation. Works sometimes. I don't know if your husband would allow that or not. It's worth a try.

momof2andonly2
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Or a walk in a park or having a little picnic would be a good idea if it is only you and the kids. Hope that helps.

cowgirlmama
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:17 AM

My son is 5, he just knows that daddy doesn't want to hear about the truth. So we just talk to each other about it, just don't talk to dad about it.

onix
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Thanks ladies.   I do those things.  And since Thumper is very visual I can use the different books.  I explained how we would see her grandfather in the Paradise and she asked me what the Paradise is and I showed her the Bible Story book. 

One of the most important things I try to do is not say that hubby's views are wrong.  I just tell her that Daddy belives 1 thing and Mommy something else.  Like she think Pink is the best color and I think Balck is the best color.

emilyschildcare
by on Oct. 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I am married to a brother, but he is not very active and we don't have a study, so I have to just do what I can with our daughter by myself. I have an MP3 player that is like a doll with a backpack where you put the mp3 player... it has all the Bible stories on it. I have another one with the Great Teacher book. She listens to it at night in bed, or sometimes just when she is playing in her room. She likes it a lot. I got the doll on Ebay and the MP3 player is an IPOD shuffle which you can get for cheap on ebay also :-)

Then of course, I just talk to her about Jehovah whenever I can. I pretty much try to bring everything back to him. :-)

Cheekimomonkey
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM

My husband is giving me a really hard time about taking our son to meetings.  I mean what is wrong with your daughters learning the truth?  Don't be sneaky, it is your job to provide spiritually for your children.  Sometimes you just have to be flat out with him.

Photobucket

krayzbabylove
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Bedtime stories from the bible story book. That is what my mom does. You are fortunate that your dh wants to keep neutral. I dont have a choice, my dd celebrates holidays because that is what his mother wants. If she wasnt around, our home would be holiday free. Well, OUR home is, but hers isnt. Its very frustrating, and makes me sad. I have been inactive for a long time, so its hard for me to feel like i can say no, on account of my religion, when i havent been practicing like i should. =( I am trying though. Its hard to know where to start though.

Cheekimomonkey
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM

The hardest part is just going to your first meeting, don't worry about service or anything.  Just meeting, start with the Saturday or Sunday ones and then work in the Ministry school as well.  Pretty soon it'll become so routine you won't remember being inactive!

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Bedtime stories from the bible story book. That is what my mom does. You are fortunate that your dh wants to keep neutral. I dont have a choice, my dd celebrates holidays because that is what his mother wants. If she wasnt around, our home would be holiday free. Well, OUR home is, but hers isnt. Its very frustrating, and makes me sad. I have been inactive for a long time, so its hard for me to feel like i can say no, on account of my religion, when i havent been practicing like i should. =( I am trying though. Its hard to know where to start though.

Photobucket

krayzbabylove
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM

=) Thank you. I keep telling myself that i need to do it, gotta force myself. I dont know why its so hard, it used to come so naturally! I will keep you updated on my progress =)

Quoting Cheekimomonkey:

The hardest part is just going to your first meeting, don't worry about service or anything.  Just meeting, start with the Saturday or Sunday ones and then work in the Ministry school as well.  Pretty soon it'll become so routine you won't remember being inactive!

Quoting krayzbabylove:

onix
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 7:39 AM

It's not easy, and it's hard to establish a routine when you haven't done it in a while.  It's so much easier to not deal with the drama and stay home.  But itis SOOOO worth going.  It may even feel like you aren't getting anything out of the meetings if your kids are young but at least you are getting the routine establised.  Keep us posted and come back for support.

Quoting krayzbabylove:

=) Thank you. I keep telling myself that i need to do it, gotta force myself. I dont know why its so hard, it used to come so naturally! I will keep you updated on my progress =)

Quoting Cheekimomonkey:

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)