Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

What have you bought that is a downgrade?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM
  • 22 Replies

I find that often if I replace an item, that the new item is a downgrade.  For example,  My DVD player stopped working so I bought a new one, which is cheaply made, thin, not sturdy plastic, takes forever to acknowledge a click, I'd call it a piece of junk. 

Features that are eliminated to build the item more cheaply - such as my wristwatch- it doesn't have a separate date setting knob, I have to do this time-consuming roll of the time setting knob.

by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM

My cell phone. I love the little features on my last cell phone--longer battery life, constant clock display, and a reminder beep every 30 minutes or so when I have a VM.  My current one is a data phone, and I don't have a data plan.  But if you have a non-data phone, the phone options are even worse.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Our DVD player would definitely be one. We had a really nice 5 disc changer and the motor went out in it. So we replaced it with one of those cheap ones you can get at Walmart for like $20.

Our coffee table would be one too. We had a nice coffee table that was iron with ceramic tiles that could be removed for the top. The tiles kept breaking and the thing was a pain to clean, so we replaced it with a $20 coffee table from IKEA.

RobynS
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Hmmm... I'm sure we've had quite a few downgrades, but nothing recently.

steelcrazy
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Bmat
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Our dishwasher-  I liked to be able to see where it is on the cycle, our new one doesn't have that feature.

Barabell
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM

We bought an up-convert DVD player when we got our HD TV, and it died in just under a year.  So now we have just a decent Sony DVD player that my sister gave us.  It was free, but it was still a downgrade :(

owensmom34
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM

We had the same problem with a new DVD player.  It stopped working after a year.

bhwrn1
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Any time we replace a dust buster I feel like it's a downgrade. I fell like they just keep getting made more and more cheaply and die much faster.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Neither can I.

rkoloms
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 5:25 AM

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Neither can I.

I can't either.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)