Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

How Green is Your Home?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM
  • 27 Replies

Was it built with sustainable materials?

Do you compost? Recycle?

Robin in Chicago

by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

We recycle.  We need to do more energy conservation.  We do have energy efficient appliances now, and low flow water devices.  But we're working on insulation and replacing the windows to improve those efficiencies.

steelcrazy
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I'm sure that quite a few would say not green enough, which is fine with me.

dingysfamily
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Not very, but then it was built in 1985; we haven't the money to make it green either.  We do try to recycle some things and we do things like making sure we turn off lights when not using them ... things like that.  When do we do replace an appliance we plan on buy energy-efficient.  Unfortunately (I guess I should say forunately really) all my appliance are originals, except my washer & dryer which I had to replace a few years ago.  I also replaced my dishwasher simply b/c hubby got a really good deal on an upgrade for us from one of his customers, she was replacing her year old one with a real fancy expensive one.  I really want a new refridgerator & stove, but mine just won't die ... the fridge is what I really want!

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I do as much as I can. I recycle and most of my cleaners are green. I replace my appliances with energy effecient ones when I have to replace them. My house was built in 1944 so it's not very green itself. I do not compost. I couldn't imagine having a compost pile anywhere around my house.

owensmom34
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM

We recycle but we don't compost.  We had talked about doing it...never got around to it. 

Barabell
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Quoting owensmom34:

We recycle but we don't compost.  We had talked about doing it...never got around to it. 

We talk about it too, and then never get around to it either.  Too many other things on our mind I guess.

RobynS
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM

We compost, recycle and use cloth diapers. I sometimes clean with vinegar and lemons, but not always.

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM

we recycle, reuse, and have energy saving appliances and light bulbs. 

Bmat
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Yes we compost and recycle.  We made it maintenance free, or as close as possible, when we built, so there should be no need to replace the exterior, anyway.

Bmat
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Composting is pretty easy.  You don't put anything with meat in the compost (it putrifies) nor salt (damages plants), but vegetable and fruit discards are easy- we keep a covered bowl beside the sink for compost and empty it once a day. It feels odd to me when we are on vacation and don't compost.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting owensmom34:

We talk about it too, and then never get around to it either.  Too many other things on our mind I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN