Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Need some ideas and suggestions

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

I just got a milk cow on monday and I now have an abundance of milk!  I have made 3 batches of ice cream, 2 things of butter, and 1 quart of yogurt.  I still have about 5 gallons in the fridge and in about 2 hours I am going to get 2 more gallons.  I need some ideas of something to use this milk for cause I do not want to have to throw it out or pour it down the drain!  Any ideas????

by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxLukesMamaxx
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Wow a milking cow? That's pretty awesome! Maybe you could see the extra milk. I'm sure other people would like fresh milk. Do you pasteurize it at all or just drink it straight? 

steelcrazy
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 9:14 PM
You could send some my way. lol I keep joking that we need to get a milking cow, but I'm always told NO, they are too much work. The only other thing that I can think of is to make cottage cheese.
owensmom34
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

My hubby's aunt used to make squeaky cheese...here is a recipe for it.

http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/3808

owensmom34
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

A real milking cow???  I need one of those for all the milk we go through...lol

Barabell
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Cheese is a great idea! 

My suggestion was going to be to find a neighbor that might need some milk, but I like the cheese idea better.  I love cheese.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Cheese is a great idea! 

My suggestion was going to be to find a neighbor that might need some milk, but I like the cheese idea better.  I love cheese.

That would be my suggestion also. I would put a sign out by the road and see if she could sell it.

Barabell
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting Barabell:

Cheese is a great idea! 

That would be my suggestion also. I would put a sign out by the road and see if she could sell it.

Unless she has pasturizing equipment, I don't think she can legally sell it.  Maybe I'm wrong? 

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting Barabell:

Cheese is a great idea! 

Unless she has pasturizing equipment, I don't think she can legally sell it.  Maybe I'm wrong? 

More then likely, your right. I am not a big milk fan, but I love milk products. I hope she is able to find something to do with the rest of it..

steelcrazy
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I'm fairly certain that it has to be pasturized to actually sell it, but you can give it away for free if it is not pasturized.

bhwrn1
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Cheese?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN