Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

What is one piece of advice you would give to first time home owners?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM
  • 24 Replies

Do you wish you would of received this advice yourself?

by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
antoinettecd
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 9:01 AM
I have never purchased a house, but a handy piece of advice my landlord gave me this week was..go to your house of choice during morning, noon, and night..make sure you like the way the sun reflects into each room..he loved a house until he found out the sun was constantly beaming into it all day..which made the interior 20+ degrees hotter than outside..umm air conditioner bill!!!! LoL
Also go on weekends and weekdays..see how crowded and quiet (or noisy) the neighborhood is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Don't spend all the money that you have saved up on the down payment, improvements, or decorating.  You'll want to always try to have some money set aside for an emergency fund.  You never know when the water heater breaks, your toilet will get backed up, etc.  And alot of times these unexpected broken items need to be fixed ASAP, so no time to wait for the next pay day.

I got lucky and this is the exact advice that my mom gave to me when we were getting ready to buy our first house.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Don't spend all the money that you have saved up on the down payment, improvements, or decorating.  You'll want to always try to have some money set aside for an emergency fund.  You never know when the water heater breaks, your toilet will get backed up, etc.  And alot of times these unexpected broken items need to be fixed ASAP, so no time to wait for the next pay day.

I got lucky and this is the exact advice that my mom gave to me when we were getting ready to buy our first house.

Good advice. I made sure the major things were done in the house I was looking at buying, but you never know.

owensmom34
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Great advice!

Quoting antoinettecd:

I have never purchased a house, but a handy piece of advice my landlord gave me this week was..go to your house of choice during morning, noon, and night..make sure you like the way the sun reflects into each room..he loved a house until he found out the sun was constantly beaming into it all day..which made the interior 20+ degrees hotter than outside..umm air conditioner bill!!!! LoL
Also go on weekends and weekdays..see how crowded and quiet (or noisy) the neighborhood is.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Quoting antoinettecd:

The neighgors are a huge issue to think about. I have really great neighbors and I would be afraid to move just for that reason.

owensmom34
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Also, do a check on crime rate in that particular area.  Also, are you near railroad tracks?  And, I say this because our first home was near some and we heard that darn train almost every morning at 3 a.m. 

antoinettecd
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 6:20 AM
Yep..we just rent, but our landlord is the best!!! He buys homes and literally fixes them up like he was going to live in them..(Ex. He went to lowe's for our stove..they tried to sell him a $400 basic rental house stove and he got us a beautiful $900 stove..I love cooking on it..he said "food makes a home")

I love our neighbors..next door is a cop! Whoo hoo..

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting antoinettecd:

The neighgors are a huge issue to think about. I have really great neighbors and I would be afraid to move just for that reason.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Location.  We bought in an area mostly in the country so that the children would have space to play and so we'd have a good view of the sky at night. But it didn't take us long to realize that not being near any stores and so forth was an inconvenience.

Bmat
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 8:11 AM

This is so true. There is always something that needs repaired. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

miller060905
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM

this is exactly what i was going to say!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)