Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

How often do you take everything off of your bed and launder?

Posted by   + Show Post

How often do you pull everything off of your mattress,  launder it all, vacuum and flip the mattress, and so forth.

What do you do for seasonal changes?

by on Oct. 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Replies (11-19):
bhwrn1
by on Oct. 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Oh gosh, you're supposed to do that? I can't say I vacuum and flip it. I take off the sheets once a week. And the mattress cover every so often.

Bmat
by on Oct. 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Yes, you really should.  Dust mites are invisible yet pretty much all beds have them, and same with skin cells- can't see them, and allergens and dust.  Vacuum that stuff up.  It only takes a moment.

Quoting bhwrn1:

Oh gosh, you're supposed to do that? I can't say I vacuum and flip it. I take off the sheets once a week. And the mattress cover every so often.

miller060905
by on Oct. 17, 2010 at 1:20 PM

i do all that major stuff whenever i decide to re-arrange my room (so 2 - 4 times a year) the sheets get washed once every week or 2 and the comforter gets washed about once a month. 

rkoloms
by on Oct. 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Quoting Bmat:

We do because of dust mites, skin debris from us, and the possibility of bedbugs.  I can't see dust mites or dead skin cells, and thank goodness (and knock on wood) no bedbugs. Also, since I have allergies to dust and so forth, vacuuming the mattress is a precaution for that.

Quoting rkoloms:

I have never vacuumed a mattress

None of us have mite allergies. We change the sheets every week or two, and the pads every month or two. We flip the mattresses every season (and vacuum up the debris)

steelcrazy
by on Oct. 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I've had my memory foam mattress for 4 years now, my sister has had hers for nearly 6 years.  Still in perfect condition and I love it.  I hate staying in a hotel because the mattress is awful after sleeping on a foam one.  They come with a 20 year warranty.  Oh and you really don't feel like you are sinking into the foam and I have no problems rolling over.  I also never feel my hubby moving or getting up in the morning.  I also have back problems and some joint pain, with our old mattress I'd wake up sore, and hunched over.  Since the foam mattress I have had no pain and wake up more rested.

Quoting Bmat:

I have been wondering about the foam mattresses. How long have you had yours. Would you recommend them?  I slept on one at a place we stayed and it was very comfortable, I'm not sure about how long they last.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I remove all the bedding in the spring and fall as well.  I have a memory foam mattress, so no flipping.  I launder the mattress cover, pillow covers and which ever blanket that I have on at the time - lighter one in spring/summer and heavier one in fall/winter.  I also vacuum the mattress and box springs and wrangle up all the dust bunnies that are living under the bed.

We use the same sheets all year round, my hubby is hot stuff (lol) and he'd die with flannel sheets.  He sleeps in shorts all year round.

AM-BRAT
by on Oct. 21, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I def know WHY you do it, but I don't recall every having done that either...

Quoting Bmat:

We do because of dust mites, skin debris from us, and the possibility of bedbugs.  I can't see dust mites or dead skin cells, and thank goodness (and knock on wood) no bedbugs. Also, since I have allergies to dust and so forth, vacuuming the mattress is a precaution for that.

Quoting rkoloms:

I have never vacuumed a mattress

AM-BRAT
by on Oct. 21, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Awesome! We have one of the Costco ones, or was it Target, but we sleep like sh*t anyway, and our bed is ancient. IDK if anything could help that bed!

Quoting steelcrazy:

I've had my memory foam mattress for 4 years now, my sister has had hers for nearly 6 years.  Still in perfect condition and I love it.  I hate staying in a hotel because the mattress is awful after sleeping on a foam one.  They come with a 20 year warranty.  Oh and you really don't feel like you are sinking into the foam and I have no problems rolling over.  I also never feel my hubby moving or getting up in the morning.  I also have back problems and some joint pain, with our old mattress I'd wake up sore, and hunched over.  Since the foam mattress I have had no pain and wake up more rested.

Quoting Bmat:

I have been wondering about the foam mattresses. How long have you had yours. Would you recommend them?  I slept on one at a place we stayed and it was very comfortable, I'm not sure about how long they last.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I remove all the bedding in the spring and fall as well.  I have a memory foam mattress, so no flipping.  I launder the mattress cover, pillow covers and which ever blanket that I have on at the time - lighter one in spring/summer and heavier one in fall/winter.  I also vacuum the mattress and box springs and wrangle up all the dust bunnies that are living under the bed.

We use the same sheets all year round, my hubby is hot stuff (lol) and he'd die with flannel sheets.  He sleeps in shorts all year round.

RobynS
by on Oct. 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Bedding, once a week (not including comforter). Flip mattress? Ummm... probably once a year or so.

Barabell
by on Oct. 21, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Quoting JustGail:

sheets changed - every sunday
mattress cover washed....once a month

This.  We don't flip our mattress.  Our last one was a Euro-top, and so you don't flip those.  Now we have a sleep number bed.  We've had it about 6 months, and it's probably about time we open it up and vacuum it out.  That's another huge advantage to a sleep number bed.  You can zip open the cover and vacuum out the inside of the mattress as well as the outside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)