Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

cake ideas for 4 year old girl

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 2:10 PM
  • 27 Replies

I'm looking for cake ideas for my daughter's upcoming birthday. I made her cake last year, and want to make another one. I used to buy cakes, but making them is fun and I feel so proud when I finish!

I don't have a lot of experience with cake decorating, but I enjoy it. I've tried google to look at images, but I need "directions"....She's expressed interest in cakes with different kinds of flowers. Man, I haven't even tried to make a frosting rose since I was like 12. Seriously. lol

Here's last year's....I have no idea how I'll top this cake. lol She loved it....but it honestly was kind of a pain to make. lol

Any ideas, tips, websites, are so appreciated!!! I know some of you have experience... :)

Oh, and while I'm sharing cakes, this was my son's "Bug Mountain" one I made for him in August. lol

May as well throw this one in here too. Kitty Litter Cake: I made this years ago. LOL!!! Sorry if I grossed anyone out. It was for my little brother. lol

Whoops, I got distracted. LOL

Like I said, any tips would be great :)

by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Pretty!! Ever thought of topping it with real flowers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
telecomgirl
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Genius! I never thought of that. That'd look gorgeous on a cake, plus - I live ridiculously close to a floral shop. Hopefully they're not too expensive...

SassyWildflower
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I have no ideas b/c i'm not great w/ this sort of thing-But those are AWESOME cakes!!

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I'm like you. I'm not very good at decorating but I've made ds past 3 cakes + 1 for my mom and I really enjoy it...even though it takes me over a week and I have to redo parts of it.   Have you tried looking around cakecentral.com?  There are some beautiful cakes on there and you are sure to find inspiration. 

As for making flowers, there are so many flower-shaped cookie/fondant cutters available.  I made my mom this cake with modeling choclate (melted chocolate mixed with karo syrup) and a fondant cutter. Its not professional looking and has flaws, but this was the 2nd cake I ever decorated.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Ooh pretty!

Quoting Linds2Horse:

I'm like you. I'm not very good at decorating but I've made ds past 3 cakes + 1 for my mom and I really enjoy it...even though it takes me over a week and I have to redo parts of it.   Have you tried looking around cakecentral.com?  There are some beautiful cakes on there and you are sure to find inspiration. 

As for making flowers, there are so many flower-shaped cookie/fondant cutters available.  I made my mom this cake with modeling choclate (melted chocolate mixed with karo syrup) and a fondant cutter. Its not professional looking and has flaws, but this was the 2nd cake I ever decorated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM
I think it'd be really neat looking!

Quoting telecomgirl:

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Genius! I never thought of that. That'd look gorgeous on a cake, plus - I live ridiculously close to a floral shop. Hopefully they're not too expensive...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Oct. 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I have a friend that just did a "doll cake" for her 4 year old..the cake was the skirt of an 11 inch doll..she even used tulle material and made her a bride doll veil that flowed along the back of th cake,, she used a special cakepan, but I don't know why you couldn't use a bundt cake pan and insert the doll in the hole in the middle of the cake...she decorated the skirt ( which you could do in flowers, some of them trailing along the back of the skirt)and the doll was a present to her daughter. It was amazing...she got the instructions from the internet. You might also ask Stacy, she does cakes in here....she may have a ton of ideas for you.Let us know what you are doing, I am intrigued now.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM
I've seen those! They're neat!

Quoting QuiltLover:

I have a friend that just did a "doll cake" for her 4 year old..the cake was the skirt of an 11 inch doll..she even used tulle material and made her a bride doll veil that flowed along the back of th cake,, she used a special cakepan, but I don't know why you couldn't use a bundt cake pan and insert the doll in the hole in the middle of the cake...she decorated the skirt ( which you could do in flowers, some of them trailing along the back of the skirt)and the doll was a present to her daughter. It was amazing...she got the instructions from the internet. You might also ask Stacy, she does cakes in here....she may have a ton of ideas for you.Let us know what you are doing, I am intrigued now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaci
by Kaci on Oct. 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Stacys rainbow cake, Rachel!!!!!!!!!!!

BEXi
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I have to go with the rainbow cake.... theyre awesome!

http://www.incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/rainbow-cake1.jpg

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN