Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

How do you use environmentally-friendly products in your home? (UPDATED WITH VIDEO)

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 133 Replies
7 moms liked this

Finding products that are good for your house, your nose, and the environment doesn't have to be a chore. 

We gave 40 CafeMom members an assortment of Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day household cleaners and asked them to try it in their home. The biodegradable and phosphate-free cleaners are not only made of natural essential oils but they also make cleaning your home fresh, fun and fragrant!  

Tell us about your green living. How do you use environmentally-friendly products in your home?

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CafeMom Team
by Group Owner on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Here are some great responses from our CafeMoms!

I love how little I had to use to get my clothes clean. They smell wonderful! I started to use the hand soap this morning and love it. Everything I have seen, read on labels, and experienced from using these products has changed me. I plan on using Mrs. Meyer's products from now on.

-          Tramcd

First I have to say, I love all the scents. My favorites are the Honeysuckle Hand soap, the Geranium Automatic Dishwasher packs, and the Basil Counter-top spray. The counter top spray makes my granite countertops sparkle.

-          ceciliam

I was so excited to receive my Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products!!! The first thing I used was the dishwasher packets....my dishes looked wonderful!! I love the scents also.

-          amy7243   

RochelleFS
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I make most of my own cleaning products. When I buy a commercial product, I want something that is safe for my family and the environment. Chemicals are a big no-no in our house. Especially with allergies and chemical sensitivities. I want a clean and green house. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3superkids
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I received my box of Mrs. Meyers cleaning supplies today. I was very surprised at the assortment and cannot wait to try everything I received. I have always tried to use only environmentally friendly cleaning products and had actually been using a spray bottle of white vinegar, tea tree oil and water mix to clean the sinks and toilets in the bathrooms. I also had been making my own laundry detergent until our old washer broke down and we bought an HE washer and could no longer use my homemade detergent.

Here is a photo of the products I will be trying in my home.

I received the laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener, dryer sheets, hand soap, dish soap, automatic dishwasher packs, and countertop cleaner.  I have to say  I will use everything I received and will be back with more replies and let everyone know what I think of the products I am using.

MyGirlParadise
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I will post a picture when my camera has finished uploading. :)

I recieved the laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener, dry sheets, hand soap, dish soap, automatic dishwaster packs, and countertop cleaner (which arrived empty but the box smelled really good lol. I am thinking of buy some more just so I can try it.).

I have been making my own countertop/bathcleaner with Vinegar/Tea Tree oil but Mrs. Meyer's smells so much better.   

I have laundry to do tomorrow so I will report back about the laundry items. :) 

Thank you so much for the items.

Picture

RochelleFS
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM

IMG00529-20120329-0953.jpg

Look what I got today! Thank you Mrs. Meyers and cafemom! I got laundry detergent, liquid softener and dryer sheets. I also got dish soap and dishwasher packs and hand soap. It all smells wonderful and fresh. Perfect for spring cleaning. I'm doing a load of dh's grubby work clothes now, so I'll let you know how it goes. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3superkids
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I have tried all of the products except the dryer sheets and so far I like them all. I washed a small load of whites using the laundry detergent and liquid softener shortly after I opened the box. I love that you only need to use a tablespoon per load and since this was a small load I used half what it said for a regular load. I put the softener in my downy ball and turned my machine on. My house smelled so good while the clothes were in the washer and the clothes smelled great when I moved them into the dryer. The one thing I forgot to do was take my dryer bar out of the dryer though so when I took the clothes out when they were done they smelled really funny. I already had most of my laundry done for the week but my boys need to bring their bedding down for me to wash tonight and all of their dirty clothes they throw on the floor in their bedroom and their bathroom so I will have more to wash tonight.

I decided to make shepherds pie last night for supper so I put all of my dirty pots and pans in the dishwasher before we ate after I put the pie in the oven. I decided not to add the white vinegar to the rinse cycle like I usually do for hard water just to see if the packs would do anything with that. The pots and pans are clean and even the potato masher came out nice and clean. I will still need to use the vinegar on the rinse cycle but the packs cleaned everything much better than the brand I used to buy. I actually hadn't used my dishwasher for months because the other packs were not cleaning things good enough even after running dishwasher cleaner through it twice things were still dirty. I may just start using my dishwasher again. I also used the liquid dish soap when I hand washed the plates, cups and silverware and the casserole dish after supper. It worked just as well as the other brand I usually use and the only difference I noticed was after washing the dishes my hands felt softer.

I had switched from liquid hand soap a few months back to bar soap because it seemed as though the liquid soap was really drying my hands out. I have been using the liquid hand soap since last night and haven't noticed a difference yet other than you really don't need to use much to get a good suds on your hands. I love how fresh and clean it smells.

This morning after I got my boys off to school and my daughter was entertained watching signing time I used the counter top cleaner in my bathroom. I used it on the sink and sprayed the whole toilet with it and wiped everything down. It really worked well for me and I would let my 5 year old son use this to clean the toilet when he gets the seat wet.

So far I like all of the products I have tried and will keep using them.

muslimahpj
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I got mine yesterday. I am excited to try it out! I usually use vinegar to clean with, so I am looking forward to how this stuff works.

Quoting momof3superkids:

I received my box of Mrs. Meyers cleaning supplies today. I was very surprised at the assortment and cannot wait to try everything I received. I have always tried to use only environmentally friendly cleaning products and had actually been using a spray bottle of white vinegar, tea tree oil and water mix to clean the sinks and toilets in the bathrooms. I also had been making my own laundry detergent until our old washer broke down and we bought an HE washer and could no longer use my homemade detergent.

Here is a photo of the products I will be trying in my home.

I received the laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener, dryer sheets, hand soap, dish soap, automatic dishwasher packs, and countertop cleaner.  I have to say  I will use everything I received and will be back with more replies and let everyone know what I think of the products I am using.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Those sound awesome. Lucky ladies!

tramcd
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I received my box of Mrs. Meyer's products last night. I have been wanting to go environmentally friendly with cleaning supplies because the regular stuff makes me sick. I loved the smells when I opened the box. Last night I all ready got a chance to use the products to do my laundry. I love how little I had to use to get my clothes clean. They smell wonderful! I started to use the hand soap this morning and love it. After lunch I will be trying the dishwashing products and countertop cleaner. Everything I have seen, read on labels, and experienced from using these products has changed me. I plan on using Mrs. Meyer's products from now on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I've been doing laundry the past few days with the laundry soap and dryer sheets. It even got dh's work clothes clean. I like the light fresh smell. I only remember to use the liquid softener on one load, everything came out so soft. I also really liked the hand soap in the honeysuckle scent. It smells like spring! The dish soap was great too although the lemon verbena scent was a bit too perfumey for dishes in my opinion although I liked it for washing out the garbage cans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN