Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Today while I was at this same Walmart...

Source -

A woman is dead and a man is in custody following a Saturday morning shooting outside the Morgantown Walmart.

Morgantown Police Chief Ed Preston says the victim was shot and killed in the Walmart parking lot at around nine o'clock.

Eyewitnesses say they heard six shots as shoppers were heading in and out of the busy store. Many turned and ran back into the store to report the shooting.

MetroNews talked with several eyewitnesses at the scene who said they subdued the man who admitted to them that he fired the shots at the woman that he knew. Those eyewitnesses say the man was not hostile. They say after the shooting he put his gun back in his vehicle.

One eyewitness told MetroNews the shooter was an older man who kept saying that Child Protective Services had his grandchildren. Another eyewitness said he stood on the legs of the shooter until police arrived.

Chief Preston says the Walmart store, which sits alongside Interstate 68 just off the University Ave. Morgantown exit, was put on lockdown for a few minutes immediately after the shooting.

Morgantown Police processed the crime scene by using a canopy and surrounding the area with shopping carts and pieces of tarp.

MetroNews is following the story and will continue to update the information as it becomes available.

12:30PM Saturday Morgantown Police have identified the woman who was shot and killed in the parking lot in the Walmart in Morgantown Saturday as Shannon Lynn Stafford, 29, of Bruceton Mills in Preston County.

There were several posts to her Facebook page shortly after the shooting that took place at around nine o’clock Saturday morning.

One said, "RIP Shannon, I can't believe this happened. You were a wonderful person and I was so happy u were getting your little girl back"

Another friend of Deer Park, Maryland posted. " don't know what to say. I can tell you how amazing you were, but we already know that!! Heaven gained such a beautiful, loving angel today! We are going to miss you SO much Shannon ♥ Praying that your loved ones can find the strength they need to face these difficult days ahead of them. May you Rest in Peace our beautiful friend!"

Friends expressed shock. "Please say it isn't true....How could this happen to a person that was like my sister.....I love you Shannon....You will be missed so much."

Another post expressed similar sentiment. "I am in shock by the news I just heard. You were such a wonderful person. I can't imagine the horror that your family is in, as well as, Nick's family! May you rest forever in peace! I will always remember you! Many prayers to your family and Nick's family!"

UPDATE: 1PM Shooter has been identified as Larry Mitchell, 54, of Shinnston, father of Shannon Lynn Stafford's estranged husband. Morgantown Police Chief Ed Preston says several shots were fired at Stafford as she sat in her car. Preston says Stafford got out of car and tried to run as Mitchell continued to fire.

Metro News: The Voice of West Virginia

I was there. I was standing in the garden center at 9:30 looking at flowers for the flower beds. I had JUST left that area to take Bella to potty when the shots were fired. I went to the door to see what had gone on but all I could see was a crowd of workers around what I had assumed was the dead body - working on preserving the crime scene while also keeping her idenity private till the police were there to deal with it.

The store was completely locked down for about 45 mins. It was only minutes after the first shot that the cops, firetrucks, and ambulence was there but they still kept everyone inside. At about 10:30 they unlocked the grocery side (furthest from the incident) for people that were parked on that side to leave.... by 11 the GM side was open but the garden center remained closed. We left the store about 11:30am.

I don't know this woman personally although the shooters name sound familiar I can't say I know it. All I can do is say a prayer for that family. :(

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
rocamom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I have chills.. That is SO scary.. 

I'm gllad you are ok but man that is SO scary..

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
6 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Wow scary for you & glad you guys are safe!
How sad though for that woman & her family ::sigh::
Lots of prayers for them .

Emmy217
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Wow, that's so sad and scary! I'm so glad you and your kiddo are safe!!! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiveLife101
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Shannon was a wonderful person! Let me tell you why this WONDEFUL MOTHER lost her life. Her ex husband is a compelete psycho path ... i know first hand! Him and his family have been harassing her since she left in the beginning of last year. This is not the first young lady that have harassed and stalked after leaving, but the first they have murdered. They tired to get her fired from her jobs, accused of her absuing her baby.. even called CPS because Shannon had posted pictures of Faith (her daughter) walking around at her grandmas hardwood floor barefoot..? i mean COMPLETE INSANE! .. i know it's not because they were worried about the well being of Faith.. but because they can NOT stand to lose.. it's all about control with them!! Shannon wasn't trying to take Faith away compeletly.. she just wanted her fair time with her.. .The father was still going to get her 2 weeks out of the month..!? I know her father-in-law did NOT act along.. her ex husband and his mother were behind this.. they are one in the same! .. her father-in-law was miserable.. he was the one who told Shannon to get away from the family when she had the chance because she would never be happy with this family.. so why would he kill her? BECAUSE HE WAS PUSHED TO DO SO! i can't wait till the all 3 go down for this! & I pray that little girl gets far, far away from them! RIP SHANNON! <3

maddoxsmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I work at that same walmart. I was there when it happened.. UnfortunatelyI seen more that day than I ever want to see again. I was one of the workers that went out and held up blankets in a big circle to keep ppl from being able to see her. There was ppl taking pics and her ex husband was bringing the little girl up where her mother lay dead. He shot her more times than they originally thought. My manager watched the cameras. They waited an hour for her to get there, they both had it all planned. I pray that little girl is safe. I pray for her family and her bf Nick that was there that day.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I use to work at that walmart too.

:( it makes me so sad that they did this. Even if the other person is the most evil in the person in the world (which I do NOT think Shannon is in anyway) thats still no reason to murder someone.... Karma will get them. Larry will be in prision for life, I wont be suprised if the estranged husband has his parental rights removed. The real victim is that little girl who will grow up without a mother, without a grandfather, and possibly without a father.

Quoting maddoxsmama:

I work at that same walmart. I was there when it happened.. UnfortunatelyI seen more that day than I ever want to see again. I was one of the workers that went out and held up blankets in a big circle to keep ppl from being able to see her. There was ppl taking pics and her ex husband was bringing the little girl up where her mother lay dead. He shot her more times than they originally thought. My manager watched the cameras. They waited an hour for her to get there, they both had it all planned. I pray that little girl is safe. I pray for her family and her bf Nick that was there that day.

kimmiegiggler
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM

OMG!

maddoxsmama
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I agree.. No one deserves what happened to her. Even the scum of the earth don't deserve to die they way she did.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

I use to work at that walmart too.

:( it makes me so sad that they did this. Even if the other person is the most evil in the person in the world (which I do NOT think Shannon is in anyway) thats still no reason to murder someone.... Karma will get them. Larry will be in prision for life, I wont be suprised if the estranged husband has his parental rights removed. The real victim is that little girl who will grow up without a mother, without a grandfather, and possibly without a father.

Quoting maddoxsmama:

nf1
by Nina on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM
That is so sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justice4shannon
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
I have a question, the Wal-Mart said they were both waiting for an hour for Shannon to arrive. Were they in the same vehicle or two separate ones? If they were in two separate ones, where was nathan parked?

Quoting maddoxsmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)