Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

10 Snacks for a Sparkly Smile

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

10 Snacks for a Sparkly Smile

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on April 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

strawberriesFull disclosure: I hate my teeth. Always have, probably always will. They're just not white enough and never have been -- even when I was a kid and my "grown-up" teeth were brand new (apparently this has something to do with too many antibiotics for multiple bouts of tonsillitis).

I've tried just about whitening treatment on the market but none of them have done the trick (unless by "trick" you're referring to the magic enamel-destroying powers of those dentist-approved bleaching trays. Root canals are awesome!).

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I'm pretty skeptical about anything that claims to have smile-brightening properties at this point. So when I heard that some foods are actually capable of making teeth whiter, I was like, "Says who? The tooth fairy?" TGTBT.

BUT there's a surprising amount of research out there suggesting that certain foods really are dental dazzlers.

So I'll definitely be adding these to my grocery list (unlike the bleach, at least none of these will destroy my teeth).

More from The Stir: Your Favorite Fruit Is Ruining Your Teeth

1. Strawberries. Who knew? I would've thought strawberries would give teeth a pink glow if anything, but it turns out they contain malic acid, which is a stain lifter.

2. Broccoli. Another one I didn't see coming. Eating broccoli actually protects enamel by creating an acid-resistant film on teeth. Reason #489 to chow on the stuff!

3. Shiitake mushrooms. Huh? No, for real! Shiitakes contain a sugar called lentinan which prevents bacteria from taking over your mouth and making everything yucky.

4. Apples. Okay, this one's not a huge surprise -- but crisp apples really are nature's tooth brush.

5. Carrots and celery. Like apples, crunchy crudites help to scrub all the stain-causing gunk off your chompers -- plus, they stimulate saliva production (nature's mouthwash).

6. Oranges and pineapples. These citrus-y guys also stimulate saliva production, and rubbing the white side of an orange peel against your teeth has the unexpected ability to remove tartar.

7. Sesame seeds. Think of sesame seeds as tiny little exfoliating beads, for your teeth. Because that's what they are!

8. Apple cider vinegar. Mmm, tangy! Mix this with baking soda to make a paste for super-whitening wonderfulness.

9. Hard cheese. Not only does the lactic acid in dairy foods help to prevent decay, hard cheese has a similar scrubbing action to apples and sesame seeds.

10. Green beans. Fresh, raw green beans do an excellent job of lifting less-than-white stuff from the nooks and crannies in between teeth. (Not cooked beans! Raw!)

How do you whiten your teeth? Will you try any of these foods to brighten your smile?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Strawberries seemed weird to me the first time I heard that. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
friend8622
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Wow, this is really interesting.  I eat just about all of these things!

psych_mom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Interesting...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Very interesting,
If only it all worked quickly, LOL
I do eat a few of those & honestly .. no change :(

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I've always been told that I have very nice teeth by my dentist, and I eat 7 of these 10 foods almost daily.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM

The first time I heard about the Strawberries was on E! one night. I can't remember the whole story but they said that (no word for word) Gywenth P takes a strawberry and smushes it in a little cup, dips her toothbrush in and then brushes her teeth with the mixture.

I was like "weirdo" lol

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Ok that is weird. Lol! Just eat them!

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

The first time I heard about the Strawberries was on E! one night. I can't remember the whole story but they said that (no word for word) Gywenth P takes a strawberry and smushes it in a little cup, dips her toothbrush in and then brushes her teeth with the mixture.

I was like "weirdo" lol

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM

i already eat lots of these things. i'm always complimented on my smile. Never had any issues w/ my teeth until I had kids. 

nf1
by Nina on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Thank you for sharing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhyllisGB
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)