Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

After a new baby, more of a housewife now, used to working, how do other housewives make it work on one salary now?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

I'm new to cafe mom, and wanted some advice on how stay at home moms make it work for their husbands so that they don't mind being the only one with an income.  I used to work alot sometimes three jobs at a time, now i am home with a 3 month old. I try to save on groceries, my husband acts like $160 a week in food is too much, its about average.  been starting up teaching infant classes but like anything else, it takes time.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Replies (21-24):
jennymommyme
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM
And I do have two places in the back yard for growing stuff this summer get some sun too lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on May. 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

You can also make all of your cookies, cakes,etc and save there, too. I see somene mentioned making your own bread...I used to do all of my weeks baking on Mondays when the kids were little. I would bake a chicken, save the broth and then a couple days later we would have homemade chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes and green beans with homemade bread. With leftover  veggies, no matter how small the amount i would save them in the feezer adding all month long until I had enough to make a pot of vegetable soup We just couldnt afford to throw anything away...and menus are a huge help...keeps you from going crazy in the store buying stuff you don't need.  my kids didn't know the store sold cookies until they went to school...true...

Angeldolphine
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I watch babies to make exstra income. Huh, I thought you said that 160 a month was too much. 160 a week is a HELL OF A LOT lol. 160 a month is more reasonable. Sounds like that's where I can help you. What the heck do you buy that it costs 160 a week??? Start with only having cash at the grocery store so you are forced to think about your purchases.

Make most food yourself. Pinterest has tons of recipes on DIY food including mixes. You can make your own cleaning fluids by mixing vinegar and fresh lemons and peels. You can even make your own toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap.... The key to cutting your food budget down is to make menus. Look for simple recipes, make leftovers so you either have food to freeze or to eat as lunch. Don't buy red meat, it's way too exspensive. I stick with chicken, talapia, and ground beef or turkey. You can also get a whole chicken and roast it for one meal with potatos and carrots, make chicken pot pie or shepherds pie and then make chicken soup with thet bones and drippings.  Stir-fries are also great because you can use whatever veggies you want, whatever meat you have and different sauce and then rice or noodles which are cheap. You can even use Ramen noodles. 

I plan it so that I prep the meal during nap time. Baby can be worn in a sling or sit in a bouncy chair or swing while you finish. LOL, I do this and watch two additional babies.

thatgirl70
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM

My DH makes about 3-4 times the amount that I did while I was working. It isn't even an issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)