Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

toys at the store

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

how do you get your kid to stop begging for toys at the store?

Do you give in and get it? tell them you will put it on their Christmas or birthday wish list? etc?

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimmiegiggler
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM

we just had our first full on fit at the store ... we're talking crying and the whole 9 yards...

we told her that she couldn't have today, but that when she achieves her next level on her good girl chart she could have it.... it didnt seem to help...

I need advice... the darn store seems like they put toys on every aisle now a days!

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I tell her that she's not getting a toy today and if she decides to throw a fit over it, we'll leave the basket and go home.  That usually takes care of it.  She loves to shop, even if it's for groceries LOL.  I will say that she's nearly 5 so she understands what I'm saying better now than she did a couple of years ago.  It gets easier.

If she starts to whimper over it I'll tell her she can always put it on her birthday or Christmas wish list.  And that'll stop it before it gets worse.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Mine doesn't beg for toys..very early on i would tell her what behavior i expected from her in the store..If the shopping trip was to include her getting something i would tell her up front..If she wasn't getting anything i would also tell her that up front(in the car).. It really eliminated the begging.

Also, if she isn't getting anything i avoid the toy section of the store.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM
This is what we did as well.

Quoting inmybizz:

Mine doesn't beg for toys..very early on i would tell her what behavior i expected from her in the store..If the shopping trip was to include her getting something i would tell her up front..If she wasn't getting anything i would also tell her that up front(in the car).. It really eliminated the begging.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a-SiZZLe
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Tell her that she can put it on her bday/xmas/easter list

Nutmeg101
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell them before we go in the store- we are NOT buying toys, or that we are only buying for XYZ's b-day. I do not cave. But they do get to earn toys or other prizes for doing their chore lists (they are young - so it mostly involves putting their shoes away, toys, etc).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I never buy toys for the kids when they are with me. They were always allowed to look when they were little, but we always had to put it back on the shelf and say goodbye. They just never knew any differently.
Additionally they know that the moment they have a temper tantrum I "have"to say no. I never back down from my "No".
As they get older they have been taught that they can save up for the things they want and when they have the money for the wanted item I will take them to the store.

I truly believe that if you can stick out the first few tantrums children quickly learn they don't work and stop trying to use them. It quicken the learning curve if you don't send mix messages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaci
by Kaci on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM
This is also how I handled it.

Quoting inmybizz:

Also, if she isn't getting anything i avoid the toy section of the store.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Luckily we havent had many meltdowns yet.

If we have the extra and they've been good we'll normally get it for them (Drew its normally hot wheel car and Bella normally puzzles so around $3 or so).

If we don't have them I simply tell them so and say "save up your own money and you can buy it next trip" or if it's something larger I'll say "well lets put that on your birthday/christmas wish list so others will know what to buy you".

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I tell my son before we go into the toy store that we aren't going to buy anything. Then if he begs (and begs, and begs) I remind him that we are just looking and if he keeps begging we wont be able to look next time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)