Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

What kind of adhesive would you use for this?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:15 AM
  • 18 Replies

I'm working on redecorating my bedroom one project at a time. One of my next projects I'm planning is covering the closet bifold metal doors.

I rent an apartment and can't change them. They're metal painted (latex- looks satin or eggshell) doors.There are 8 all together, 2 big side-by-side closets that take up a whole wall.

What I want to do is cut a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch foam to fit the front of each door, then wrap a thin printed fabric around the edges and hot glue the fabric to the back of the metal door, and even if it's up for years it should be something I can peel right off and paint over. 

But I don't know if hot glue is a good choice to hold the foam to the front, would the hot glue melt foam? I don't want to use something were I'm going to one day be sitting there with scrapers and sanders trying to get crumbly foam crumbs off the metal.

What kind of adhesive do you think might work best for this kind of project?

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
friend8622
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:23 AM

I would say double sided tape, however, I think that might be hard to remove.  I'm afraid you might have crumbly foam pieces any way that you put it up, that's just my thought, though.  Hope someone else can help you out with this one better than I could! Pictures after it's done!

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

hot glue does melt foam.

Have you considered the picture frame hangers from Comand? They'll hold up the foam and you can also use them for the fabric as well. Then no need to worry about even needing to repaint.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

these incase I confused the heck out of you lol  They come in bigger sizes to hold more weight so just look for the little blue dot and see how much it holds.  Foam is fairly light weight.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

hot glue does melt foam.

Have you considered the picture frame hangers from Comand? They'll hold up the foam and you can also use them for the fabric as well. Then no need to worry about even needing to repaint.

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Hey, there's an idea. I didn't think of those. The foam shouldn't require a lot of glue and the fabric will mostly hold it in place. A couple of these in the upper corners might be all I need to keep it from sliding down.

Thanks so much.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

these incase I confused the heck out of you lol  They come in bigger sizes to hold more weight so just look for the little blue dot and see how much it holds.  Foam is fairly light weight.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

hot glue does melt foam.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

Kaci
by Kaci on May. 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Would the spray adhesive work??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaci
by Kaci on May. 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Do the doors have slats in them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Those woulda been my idea.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

hot glue does melt foam.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Cool project by the way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CDMelty
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Glue dots from the scrapbooking section.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

hot glue does melt foam.

I was thinking of these too.

Are you planning to use foam, or foamcore?  Foamcore is more expensive but it would be easier to affix to the closet with these strips.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)