Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

What kind of adhesive would you use for this?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm working on redecorating my bedroom one project at a time. One of my next projects I'm planning is covering the closet bifold metal doors.

I rent an apartment and can't change them. They're metal painted (latex- looks satin or eggshell) doors.There are 8 all together, 2 big side-by-side closets that take up a whole wall.

What I want to do is cut a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch foam to fit the front of each door, then wrap a thin printed fabric around the edges and hot glue the fabric to the back of the metal door, and even if it's up for years it should be something I can peel right off and paint over. 

But I don't know if hot glue is a good choice to hold the foam to the front, would the hot glue melt foam? I don't want to use something were I'm going to one day be sitting there with scrapers and sanders trying to get crumbly foam crumbs off the metal.

What kind of adhesive do you think might work best for this kind of project?

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:15 AM
Replies (11-18):
Browncoat4eva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Cool project by the way!

Thank you, I'll post pictures when it gets done, I'm hoping by the end of the month. Now I just have to find a fabric I really love.

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Quoting Kaci:

Do the doors have slats in them?

I thought about spray adhesives... but then I imagined 5 years down the road, trying to peel the foam off. I'm a little worried about it.

As for the slats, no, the doors are completely smooth. That's one of the reasons I want to cover them, they look so industrial, even when painted. 

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

these incase I confused the heck out of you lol  They come in bigger sizes to hold more weight so just look for the little blue dot and see how much it holds.  Foam is fairly light weight.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

hot glue does melt foam.

Have you considered the picture frame hangers from Comand? They'll hold up the foam and you can also use them for the fabric as well. Then no need to worry about even needing to repaint.

I was thinking of these too.

Are you planning to use foam, or foamcore?  Foamcore is more expensive but it would be easier to affix to the closet with these strips.

I'm using high density foam. I'm going more for a soft, cushiony look, sort of like an upholstered headboard. If I didn't want the cushion I could apply the fabric directly to the door, because the doors are totally smooth.

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

Jukebox_Jenny
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM
I can't wait!!

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Cool project by the way!

Thank you, I'll post pictures when it gets done, I'm hoping by the end of the month. Now I just have to find a fabric I really love.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaci
by Kaci on May. 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Okay I know this works on walls. Forget foam and just use liquid fabric starch to get the material to adhere to the doors. Later when you have to take it off, no damage will of been done and no mess from foam and glue.

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Quoting Kaci:

I thought about spray adhesives... but then I imagined 5 years down the road, trying to peel the foam off. I'm a little worried about it.

As for the slats, no, the doors are completely smooth. That's one of the reasons I want to cover them, they look so industrial, even when painted. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Browncoat4eva
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Quoting Kaci:

Okay I know this works on walls. Forget foam and just use liquid fabric starch to get the material to adhere to the doors. Later when you have to take it off, no damage will of been done and no mess from foam and glue.

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Quoting Kaci:

Shoot, I didn't even think of that. I know you can hang fabric on walls with it. I'll give that a try, thanks.

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

kimmiegiggler
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

what about a spray adhesive?

Kaci
by Kaci on May. 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Yw. Post a pic when you get done.

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Quoting Kaci:

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Quoting Kaci:

Shoot, I didn't even think of that. I know you can hang fabric on walls with it. I'll give that a try, thanks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)