Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Has this ever happened to you?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM
  • 26 Replies

I'm having problems with my skin. I have worn my wedding ring for almost 10 years and never had a problem..Recently my ring finger has been giving me problems- it's itchy and a little sore..I take my ring off for a few days and it clears up, put the ring back on  & i get the symptoms again..I think i'm allergic to my ring. 

Have you ever become allergic to something that previously you weren't allergic too?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
friend8622
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I had that happen a couple of years ago, I was told it's actually like a fungal infection or something and just wash your rings really good with soap and water then dip it in like hydrogen peroxide or something like that!  Best of luck, hope it clears up soon, that can be a real pain!

psych_mom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Yes, I can no longer wear silver rings because I have the same thing happen to me. It is possible to become allergic to metals after going years without any issues. If you follow the Amy's suggestions and it still happens, then talk to your doctor and see if there is something else you can try to help with the irritation. You may have to get a back up set in a different metal. I do have a sterling silver ring that I wear on my right hand that is coated in rhodium plated (comes from the platinum family and is the same thing that they use to make yellow gold white) and that is now the only way that I can wear silver. Once the rhodium wears off, I will no longer be able to wear the ring.

Nutmeg101
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM
This would be my guess, too. GL!!

Quoting friend8622:

I had that happen a couple of years ago, I was told it's actually like a fungal infection or something and just wash your rings really good with soap and water then dip it in like hydrogen peroxide or something like that!  Best of luck, hope it clears up soon, that can be a real pain!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocamom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Have you had it cleaned lately??  This happens to me when I use those home ring cleaners and when I take it to the jeweler this issues goes away..  GOOD LUCK!!

hugss
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Using something different on your hands maybe?
Good luck :)

Join us at

Time Out for You

IhaveHisjoy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Yes..I have an allergy to gold..after having worn gold half my life. I could no longer wear my wedding band or any of my gold earrings. Also, powder in gloves (nurse).. 10 yrs no problem, now I have to wear powder free gloves. Oh and stitches..worked taking them out for yrs..had some and wow was it killer. My scar is wrse because of the allergic reaction.
inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Quoting rocamom:

Have you had it cleaned lately??  This happens to me when I use those home ring cleaners and when I take it to the jeweler this issues goes away..  GOOD LUCK!!

I clean it at home on a regular basis..I'll clean it again and see what happens..Thanks.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Quoting hugss:

Using something different on your hands maybe?
Good luck :)

I don't know...I've been using the same lotions/soaps for years w/o problems. Thanks.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

Yes, I can no longer wear silver rings because I have the same thing happen to me. It is possible to become allergic to metals after going years without any issues. If you follow the Amy's suggestions and it still happens, then talk to your doctor and see if there is something else you can try to help with the irritation. You may have to get a back up set in a different metal. I do have a sterling silver ring that I wear on my right hand that is coated in rhodium plated (comes from the platinum family and is the same thing that they use to make yellow gold white) and that is now the only way that I can wear silver. Once the rhodium wears off, I will no longer be able to wear the ring.

this ring is platinum- I can't wear certain metals but i've never had a problem with platinum..

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Quoting friend8622:

Thanks!! I'll clean it again and see ehat happens..I keep my ring on when i wash my hands maybe i'm noy drying under the ring well enough and it's causing a fungal infection..IDK(sigh)..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)