Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Manners, anyone?!

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM
  • 24 Replies

A grandmother and I were talking about this a little while ago.

She says strangers seem shocked when her granddaughter uses manners in public. IE-please, thank-you, excuse me, etc. b/c the little girl is so young. (3 or 4).

My question--

Do you/did you teach your children manners (yes ma'am, yes sir, etc.) & at what age did you do so if you did.

If you don't/didn't--Why not?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 4(5 in a couple weeks) and 3. I have been teaching them since maybe 18 months-1yr. While my youngest doesn't really speak, I still teach her. 

When my oldest answers someone, I always ask her to say yes/no ma'am/sir. They are expected to say please and thank you & be respectful. I think it's really important for kids to have manners that hopefully, they'll carry with them as they get older. 

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. My kids say "please, thank you, and sorry"

We started as soon as they started talking lol

Its something very big in our house for manners - also for holding doors, letting women go infront of the men, offering help, etc.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think manners are very important..People tell me all the time how polite my daughter is.Makes me proud to know she is practicing some of the thing we teach and expect at home out in public away from our view..

sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a 4 1/2 yr old son and a daughter who just turned one. We make sure to teach them manners a soon as we can, usually around one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mitchiesgirl
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I taught my oldest good manners right away. Please, thank yous, excuse me, yes (not yeah or what). He's 10 now and I think people are surprised he has good manners still. My youngest is 2 and she says please for everything, and thank you. I expect her to have the same good manners. Ma'am and Sir aren't necessary.

KristinawithaK
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
absolutely. my kids will know respect. they will use their manners. I'm not raising punk kids.
SassyWildflower
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM

OMGoodness. I remember my dad getting all over us for the "yeah & what" thing!

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

I taught my oldest good manners right away. Please, thank yous, excuse me, yes (not yeah or what). He's 10 now and I think people are surprised he has good manners still. My youngest is 2 and she says please for everything, and thank you. I expect her to have the same good manners. Ma'am and Sir aren't necessary.

SassyWildflower
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM

LOL!! Love it!!

Quoting KristinawithaK:

absolutely. my kids will know respect. they will use their manners. I'm not raising punk kids.

Dabberdoo
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I start teaching my children before they can talk.  I was actually working with my 13 month old today.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I raise cane over 'uh huh' and 'uh uh'. It's YES or NO in this house lol

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)