Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

SAHM while kids are at school??

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM
  • 31 Replies

Are your kids in school all day but you still stay home??

My daughter is going to full day kindergarten in September and I'm not sure what to do?!?!?!

Part of me wants to not work so I can volunteer in her classroom and volunteer for my sons 3rd grade (I make copies since they don't relly need a class Mom)..

I need a job that has summers off because my kids are to young to be home all summer but also we can't really afford summer camps all summer..

ANY suggestions.. I am watching the school page to see about any openings for next school year but nothing yet..  For the record my husband doesn't care but obviously it would help us if I did work but we can make it if I don't.. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmilyMarshall
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM
bump

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM

My daughter is in school all day(2nd grade) and i stay home.. I don't have any suggestions(sorry)..

Ladybug.Hugs
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

My kids are too little for school...But when they start school I will still stay home, I was a stay at home wife before I had kids, and I'll be a stay at home wife & mother even after they start school..Sorry I'm of no help...

vermontmoms
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM
My boys are in school all day (2nd grd) and I stay home. I also work from home part-time.

I would look for a paraprofessional job at the school. Chk out craigslist or monster for part-time jobs in your area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyWildflower
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM

My oldest starts K in the fall. I still have a 3 yr. old to stay at home with. I don't do the whole preschool thing so it will be myself and baby girl at home until she goes to K.  After that--I might start school again. I'm young, I still have lots I'd like to do once my girls are in school and doing their own thing during the day. 

IDK if you could maybe get a job WITH the school system so you're off when the kids are off. Cafeteria lady, office assistant, something like that?

bren_darlene
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM

You are wanting to be with your child so just wondering if you have ever considered home educating your children?  I have been at it going on 20 yrs and have graduated all but one of mine.  I can promise you that it is awesome and one of the biggest blessings to you and your family.

rocamom
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Yeah that's not for me..  Plus my son has been in school for 3 years so he would be removed from all of his friends (I wouldn't home school one of my kids and not the other)..  Plus my son (2nd grade) is ahead of where he should be and I know I couldn't give him what he needs.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  I have family and friends who home school but I'm not built for it :)

Quoting bren_darlene:

You are wanting to be with your child so just wondering if you have ever considered home educating your children?  I have been at it going on 20 yrs and have graduated all but one of mine.  I can promise you that it is awesome and one of the biggest blessings to you and your family.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

If I was given the choice and it wouldn't hurt our family - I'd stay home.

There's going to be sick days, classroom events, story times, station parents, etc.

Also with school comes activities which means you afterschool/evenings/weekends are going to be FILLED with no time for cleaning or other house duties so use the time they are in school for that!

In my dream world, I'd be home till they're atleast in middle school.....

psych_mom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I would work part time... there are a lot of companies that look for people to only work 2-3 days a week. The job that I was suppose to have only wanted me to work about 2 days a week.

rocamom
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Part of me wants to not even think about work for September but another part of me feels that that is selfish because obviously the income would help but at this point we don't NEED it (ya know)..  Thanks for your input.

My son already has MANY afterschool things and I know it will just get added once my daughter starts school too and girl scouts and stuff..  THANKS AGAIN!!

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

If I was given the choice and it wouldn't hurt our family - I'd stay home.

There's going to be sick days, classroom events, story times, station parents, etc.

Also with school comes activities which means you afterschool/evenings/weekends are going to be FILLED with no time for cleaning or other house duties so use the time they are in school for that!

In my dream world, I'd be home till they're atleast in middle school.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)