Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you ever take your child to the ER for nonemergency reasons

Posted by   + Show Post

such as an ear ache, stomach ache or things like that? I am just asking because I have noticed that there are several people that I know in real life that do and I have to be honest, it really bugs me. If their kid was running a high temp and super sick, I could understand it, but once they took their kid because they had a cold, nothing more. Tonight their child has an ear ache and they took her for no other reason than that. The reason that it bugs me is because I feel that these people use the ER for their personal doctor office when their are true emergencies out there that the staff are needed for. If you go to the ER here before 11:00 there is something called fast track, kind of like a quick care clinic, but these people always wait until it is too late to go. I just don't see the point in using the ER for such nonemergent reasons.If you do this, can you explain to me why so I might be able to understand because I truly don't get it.

Sorry, I just had to get that out.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Replies (41-50):
psych_mom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM

That is completely different than going to the ER for an every day thing and you stated that urgent care wasn't open so I am assuming this was an after hours thing- this definitely would qualify as an emergency. I would never knock you for taking your child for something like this. This is more about people that use it as their doctor office than ever taking their kid to the doctor. I would be scared to death and rush my kid to the ER in the exact same situation. Please don't think that I am saying things like this should be overlooked.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

What one person considers an emergency may seem down right stupid to someone else. When my DD was 2 and potty training she had eaten a ton of dairy and couldn't poop. The poop was literally stuck. She would try to push it out, blood would pour into her diaper, and the poop wouldn't come out. Then it came halfway out and got stuck. She couldn't get it in or out and was screaming blood murder. She cried inconsolably for over 30 min while we tried to help her get it out.

Was this an emergency? To me, yes. My 2 year old being in that much pain and crying inconsolably for over 30 min is an emergency to me, so I took her. The staff treated us just fine, x-ray'ed her and helped her get it out. I would have taken her to urgent care if it was open, but the bottom line is I felt she needed medical care right then. If your 2 year old was bleeding out her butt I bet you'd be concerned too.

mommaslilmen
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

im sorry you had bad care. an ambulance doesn't guarentee that your going to be seen first or last, and people in my county just dont understand that. they think that if they go in by ambulance we wont stick them in the waiting room if need be. Sadly it sounds like the er dr gave you shitty care, not the ambulance (then again i was not there so i dont know)

the "bs" im talking about is the "finger pain, emotional pain, i have a nose bleed (that mind you stopped bleeding by the time the ambulance showed up), i have xyz pain and im out of my meds so i want a ride to get more, i stubbed my toe, or saying your pain is a 9 on 10 scale and your talking to me normal and just walked with no problem to the ambulance and climbed in" i could go on and on. we get abused since there is no fee for the ambulance ride. burns are a legit 911 call. depending on where you are too may have been need to fly to the hand or burn center (at least by maryland protocol)

Quoting psych_mom:

I had to go to the ER via ambulance once because of catching my hand on fire. I told my husband not call but he did anyway. The ER happened to be swamped that afternoon and the doctor barely glanced at my hand and said I only had first degree burns- he missed the 2nd and 3rd degree burns that were on there and I couldn't get follow up care. Thankfully they were not very large and there was no major damage since the third degree areas were small. You can still see scaring on my fingers though. I decided that day that no matter how bad the reason, I never ever want to go back to the hospital via ambulance.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

I'm an emt and take enough people to the er for bs

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

rocamom
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

pass along the bad SIL award.. I have 3 of them.. 1 I can really get along and the other 2 have their moments :)

Quoting psych_mom:

Hahahaha! I could help but really laugh out loud on this one.

Quoting rocamom:

She shouldn't have an issue where she lives either.  She's just ditzy.. She's nice but OMG just a little off the wall on stuff like this.. 

Quoting psych_mom:

Yeah, if you don't like the doctor then find a new one, don't clog up the ER. Where I live there is a doctor on every corner. Health care makes this town.

Quoting rocamom:

I 100% agree with you.. My SIL is a dumbass LOL!!!  Ok so she really isn't dumb but she's a ditz.  My husband would be like UM then we need to switch Dr's to one you trust..

Quoting psych_mom:

I would trust the pediatrician over the ER doc any day. The ER makes it clear that they are not there to give a diagnosis, that they are there to treat immediate issues and to get pain under control and that you should immediately follow up with your regular doctor.

Quoting rocamom:

Stomach ache no..  If it's an ear ache and they can't sleep and are in some real pain YES.  I think the ONLY reason I have taken either child to the ER was when my son was 2 and breathing funny.  Turns out he has cold induced asthma and I knew NOTHING about asthma so that's why I didn't know what it was..

My childs pediatrician is open until 8:30pm so if we have any issues we usually go there before they close.  My SIL goes to the ER with her kids ALL the time and I don't get why but whatever.  I think she prefers what they have to say instead of her pediatrician..  OH WELL!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
btamilee
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

No...we have a $4,000 deductable!  We don't even go the doctors unless it is necessary!

psych_mom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Here there is an abulance charge. It wasn't the abulance that gave me bad care, it was the fact that I was stuck in the hall on an ambulance stretcher for the entire time that I was there. The EMTs normally try to stay with a patient until the ER staff can take over (I had something happen a year before this and they were great) but they had to leave and go out on another call. They had kept my hand submerged in saline solution in the abulance but thought that the ER nurse would take over and do that once they got me there- wrong. My husband had to hunt someone down to get me even that much care. I just decided that if I had to be in pain and suffer that I would rather sit in the ER waiting room instead of on an uncomfortable ambulance gurney while the ER staff ignores me. The last time I went to the ER, I drove myself and the symptoms were almost the same as they were the first time I had to take an ambulance ride and this time the ER staff actually admitted me and had a neurologist see me and I got a diagnosis. When I went in via ambulance, they had a physians assistant see me and he said that although I was having stroke and seizure symptoms along with very high blood pressure (which my blood pressure is usually low around 100/60) that I had a stomach virus. I just discovere at our ER, if you want proper care, don't come via ambulance, lol.

Sounds like there are some quacks where you live that love their pain meds and will do anything for it.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

im sorry you had bad care. an ambulance doesn't guarentee that your going to be seen first or last, and people in my county just dont understand that. they think that if they go in by ambulance we wont stick them in the waiting room if need be. Sadly it sounds like the er dr gave you shitty care, not the ambulance (then again i was not there so i dont know)

the "bs" im talking about is the "finger pain, emotional pain, i have a nose bleed (that mind you stopped bleeding by the time the ambulance showed up), i have xyz pain and im out of my meds so i want a ride to get more, i stubbed my toe, or saying your pain is a 9 on 10 scale and your talking to me normal and just walked with no problem to the ambulance and climbed in" i could go on and on. we get abused since there is no fee for the ambulance ride. burns are a legit 911 call. depending on where you are too may have been need to fly to the hand or burn center (at least by maryland protocol)

Quoting psych_mom:

I had to go to the ER via ambulance once because of catching my hand on fire. I told my husband not call but he did anyway. The ER happened to be swamped that afternoon and the doctor barely glanced at my hand and said I only had first degree burns- he missed the 2nd and 3rd degree burns that were on there and I couldn't get follow up care. Thankfully they were not very large and there was no major damage since the third degree areas were small. You can still see scaring on my fingers though. I decided that day that no matter how bad the reason, I never ever want to go back to the hospital via ambulance.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

I'm an emt and take enough people to the er for bs

psych_mom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Wow! That is outrageous. We have a $400 deductible, but we also have a $2,000 co-insurance so they might as well say $2400 deductible.

Quoting btamilee:

No...we have a $4,000 deductable!  We don't even go the doctors unless it is necessary!

Ladybug.Hugs
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

I've done it before when my son had an ear ache-which turned out to be an ear infection and he had to have medicine for it...It's not easy to take my children to the family doctor because when I call they always tell me to schedule an appointment..Sometimes their appointments aren't for a week or two, I want to make sure my kid is okay, I don't want to have to wait to find out..Soooo that's what the ER is there for.

You have a doctor that tells you to schedule an appointment a week or two after you call and say you have a sick child that needs to be looked at???

You need another doctor, immediately.

Well visits and sports physicals always need a week or two (sometimes even more depending on how busy they are) for scheduling.  But I have never come across a doctor who didn't fit in a sick child. 

And to the OP, ER is for emergencies, and every time someone takes a non-emergency into the ER, they make it more difficult for true emergencies to be seen.

Yes, I called the kids dr once because my son was pulling at his ear & screaming..He had a fever..I asked if they could see him, and the lady on the phone told me they were too full & told me to schedule an appointment...So I did and his appointment wasn't for two weeks!..SO I took him to the ER...I would change their doctor, but I never take them to the dr. anyway, or the ER...I think the last time we even went to the ER or Dr was when my daughter woke up in the middle of the night sick as could be and it turned out that she had the flu, which was almost a year ago..

romalove
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

I've done it before when my son had an ear ache-which turned out to be an ear infection and he had to have medicine for it...It's not easy to take my children to the family doctor because when I call they always tell me to schedule an appointment..Sometimes their appointments aren't for a week or two, I want to make sure my kid is okay, I don't want to have to wait to find out..Soooo that's what the ER is there for.

You have a doctor that tells you to schedule an appointment a week or two after you call and say you have a sick child that needs to be looked at???

Well visits and sports physicals always need a week or two (sometimes even more depending on how busy they are) for scheduling.  But I have never come across a doctor who didn't fit in a sick child. 

And to the OP, ER is for emergencies, and every time someone takes a non-emergency into the ER, they make it more difficult for true emergencies to be seen.

Yes, I called the kids dr once because my son was pulling at his ear & screaming..He had a fever..I asked if they could see him, and the lady on the phone told me they were too full & told me to schedule an appointment...So I did and his appointment wasn't for two weeks!..SO I took him to the ER...I would change their doctor, but I never take them to the dr. anyway, or the ER...I think the last time we even went to the ER or Dr was when my daughter woke up in the middle of the night sick as could be and it turned out that she had the flu, which was almost a year ago..

How old are your children?  Don't you take them for regular well visits?

Certainly if you have a doctor that won't see your child when the child needs to be seen, an ER is better than nothing.  But I still think you need a doctor that is responsive to you and your child's needs, and what you have described would be wholly unacceptable to me.

Ladybug.Hugs
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

How old are your children?  Don't you take them for regular well visits?

Certainly if you have a doctor that won't see your child when the child needs to be seen, an ER is better than nothing.  But I still think you need a doctor that is responsive to you and your child's needs, and what you have described would be wholly unacceptable to me.

YES, I take them for well visits(they are 1 & 3) when I take them for the well visits the Dr. is great..but when I take them for things like ear aches and I'm trying to squeeze them in to get checked on the day it happens I always get the "schedule an appointment" crap out of them, but like I said I don't take them to the Dr. or ER hardly ever for things like that...just their well visits.

marie85
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

No. I call our pedi if I am unsure and they will recommend we go to the ER or will recommend I schedule an appointment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)